South Australia Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2:
Yup. <looks at map> "Oh, I'll just drive from Melbourne to Sydney today, no worries." Yeah, right.

That's one trip you can do in a day as it's all freeway and easy albeit boring driving.

If you're considering Melbourne the boats you want to investigate are Scubabo, Bay City Charters, and Chimney Rock Charters. There is a dive site guide here.

There is a lot of shore and pier diving. The most popular pier dives are Blairgowrie, Rye, and Flinders. You will need a car.

In terms of buddies your best bet will be the "Scuba dive Melbourne" and "Dive Buddies Social Group" Facebook groups.

This will give you some idea of water temperature. Visibility often better in winter.

Standard rental tank is a steel 12.2l with a din/k valve.

Reactions: g2
g2:
@diver257a, thanks for the thoughtful post!

Seems like there's pros and cons to the various seasons. If you were me, trying to pick a time of year to go, what months do you think would offer the best combination of visibility, good conditions, and wildlife?

Gah. Okay, unless I hear people raving about it, I'll give that a pass.

Have you dove Tasmania? I've been there before but didn't dive; as I recall, infrastructure and transportation outside of Hobart was rather thin, so I don't know if a dive trip there would be easy to schedule.

The other factor in all of this is that I'll be alone and don't like diving solo, so I'll be looking for guided dives, boat dives, or day trips with local shops.

HI g2

The months of April to June probably offer the best opportunity to dive most popular sites as well as Cuttlefish dives near Whyalla and shark cage diving south of Port Lincoln. Generally, the wind should be mild in strength, sunny, and with minimum chance of rain. Please note that cuttlefish and shark cage seasons extend beyond the window of 'April to June'.

March could be included but it can be windy. If you are interested, there is a webpage called 'Wind Roses for Selected Locations in Australia' on the (Australian) Bureau of Meterology website, where you looked at various wind directions and strengths by month for various places in Australia.

Please note the following:
  1. The period April to June in 2025 will include both Easter and School holidays. These events result in increased use of domestic air travel and tourist accommodation as well as increased motor vehicle activity on roads outside of the Adelaide metropolitan area.
  2. The water temperature will get colder. It will fall beyond 15 degrees C in late May and remains there until late October. You should allow to hire a wetsuit of a suitable thickness.
You asked about industry services in South Australia. The local industry (which consists of three main dive stores, i.e. Adelaide Diving, Adelaide Scuba and Underwater Sports, and a number of other smaller service providers) offers the following services:
  1. Guided dives to Rapid Bay and other Leafy Seadragon sites
  2. Weekends at Edithburgh
  3. Boat dives on Adelaide metropolitan coastline and other places
  4. Weekend trips to Whyalla during Cuttlefish season
It is possible to engage a dive guide from either from one of the Big Three dive stores or from one of the smaller work-from-home dive businesses. I can offer some suggestions re the latter.

Tasmania - I have never been there. I would suggest that you start a post on Scubaboard with the subject title being "diving in Tasmania during 2025" or similar. This is because there are Tasmanian divers who regularly post content, and they are likely to be attracted to posts that include the words "Tasmania".

I trust the above is of use to you.

The local industry (which consists of three main dive stores, i.e. Adelaide Diving Adelaide, Adelaide Scuba and Underwater Sports, and a number of other smaller service providers)...

Great reply to the OP.

If I may put in a small correction: Diving Adelaide.

OK, so PADI has the copyright , or poached from the web.
Back on topic, sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom