South America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't geopolitics fun?

I'm working on a sane division of the world's diving areas and will have that revision reflected in the forum structure soon.
But as you can see already in this thread, geography and politics don't necessarily go well together. And then there's the travel industry, which variously puts Belize, for example, in "Central & South America," "Latin America," "Central America," or the "Exotic Western Caribbean."
From a diving perspective, shouldn't we group places in the same body of water that have similar diving together? But then, should Costa Rica be in Central America, or split somehow between the Eastern Pacific and the Western Caribbean?

Bottom line... please be patient. I'll have a new structure that won't satisfy anyone but should be a bit less confusing to most soon.
Love,
Uncle Ricky

hdtran:

L.M.F.A.O. ^

How about Greater Caribbean/Bahamas Basin?

Now for something :eek:fftopic: completely different:

The Hunting of the Snark (1876) is a nonsense poem about the quest to find an imaginary creature called a "snark." The creature's name was coined by Lewis Carroll. Since they go on a sea voyage, Carroll may have intended a blend of "snake" and "shark," though the poem gives no description of how the creature looks. The "snark" proves elusive, but the Baker does find a nasty "boojum," a variety of the snark.

The poem has nothing to do with the word snarky, which means 'sharply critical'. More precisely, snarky means critical in an annoying, sarcastic, grumpy, wisecracking, or cynical sort of way. Maybe you're referring to the recent headline in The New York Times: "The Stars of Reality TV Are Snarky, Whiny and Loud. But They Look Fabulous." The comedian David Spade has been called snarky, and so has David Letterman. The young star of the TV show Malcolm in the Middle is very snarky. ---->>>>And a cantankerous curmudgeon is snarky by definition. <<<<<----- (Who :1poke: Me?)

The following analysis of words beginning with "sn-" is from The Guardian (London): "And few groups of words are as useful for verbal snipers, those who sneer, snap and snarl, who resort to the snide, sniffy, snarky, snooty and snotty, as those which begin with an s and an n. That is not to say that all belong exclusively to the world of vituperation. Snug and snuggle are cosy agreeable concepts."

The adjective snarky is first recorded in 1906. It is from dialectal British snark, meaning 'to nag, find fault with', which is probably the same word as snark, snork, meaning 'to snort, snore'. (The likely connection is the derisive snorting sound of someone who is always finding fault.) Most dictionaries label snarky as "Chiefly British Slang." But for the last five or more years, it has become increasingly common in American publications, maybe ones infiltrated by British or Canadian writers and journalists.

DiversMom:
Call it Latin America and have sub forums for mexico, Central America, South America, the western Caribbean, etc.

Hey, Reef,

Diver's Mom's idea is workable also. OK, Rick, I quit.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Hey, Reef,

Diver's Mom's idea is workable also. OK, Rick, I quit.

Regards,

Hey, what about mine?

[quoting myself]
Seriously, I would propose North America (North of the Rio Grande, basically) & Latin America (you may want to let the Quebecois be in Latin America ), then, you can have subforums in Latin America: Central (Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, & parts of Columbia, not to mention islands) & South (other parts of Columbia, Ecuador, Venezuela, etc.)​

Snarking along...

Back
Top Bottom