South Africa, Cape Town: Southern Rights at Long Beach & Great White at Clan Stuart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xyrandomyx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I originally posted this in the Cape Town Divers Group, so they're a bit old now, but I think they're worth a repost. They were both shot the weekend before last.

The first is a pair of Southern Right Whales at Long Beach, Simon's Town, Cape Town:

GoPro Scuba - Diving with Southern Right Whales in False Bay, Cape Town - YouTube

The video was taken by one of a group of divers with Old Mutual Sub-Aqua Club. Stephen Bardwell (he posts under that name here occasionally) was in the group, but not in the video (as far as I can see). I would've been there, but decided the weather was looking a little dodgy and that above-water activities were a better idea. In hindsight, very silly of me.

Southern Rights are common in Cape Town around this time of year -- it's their mating season, mother's with calves from the year before are all along the coast. It's not at all common for them to be so close to divers, though. Long Beach is Cape Town's local 'mudhole': the spot where all the OW students do their first dive and everyone's Plan B when the weather's a little rough. The whales were apparently in about 5.5 metres (~18') of water.

This one I'm not so disappointed to have missed. It's a short clip of a Great White Shark at the SS Clan Stuart Wreck in Glencairn, Cape Town:

Great white shark at the Clan Stuart wreck - YouTube

There's a fairly long description under the video. It was taken by one of a group of tourists who were accompanied by two local DMs. It's usually a shore dive, probably about an 80 metre (~87 yard) surface swim out to the wreck. They did it as a boat dive, but made a leopard-crawl exit on the shore to avoid surfacing with the shark still around.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2013 at 02:04 PM ----------

Ah, and Pisces Divers also spotted a Southern Right at Long Beach last Wednesday: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=vb.122756121202068&type=2 -- it's in the first video on that page.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom