Sounds like a "marble" in my tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a PST LP80 tank. If I roll it on the ground I can hear "something" inside the tank. sounds like a marble rolling around. It was not there before. How could anything larger then a grain of sand get into a tank? The tank has maybe 12 dives on it so far but had been sitting in the shop for a year before I bought it at discount. (because of 03 date stamp) It has the k-valve the PST used on thier LP tanks before going with thier newer convertable din/k valves

I guess I will have to pay for a visual inspection even if one is not due for another 8 months.

It's probably the snorkel on the inside of the K-valve that has fallen off and is now rolling around in the tank.

No big deal. Just drain the tank (in a super slow fashion)....take off the valve....extract the snorkel...re-attach it to the bottom of the K-valve...and if it's time for a Viz....this sounds like a good time to have it done !

Maybe the dip tube has come off...

Drain the cylinder, unscrew the valve and upend the cylinder and see what falls out. Tell us in this note what falls out and we can give you suggestions on how to proceed.

Roak

This happened to my pony bottle after my first dive with it. When I took it back to my LDS the issue was treated with nonchalance. They simply drained the tank, removed the valve, and a 1-1/2" long metal tube fell out. They screwed the tube back into the bottom of the valve, reattached the valve, and filled the tank.

roakey:
Maybe the dip tube has come off...

Drain the cylinder, unscrew the valve and upend the cylinder and see what falls out. Tell us in this note what falls out and we can give you suggestions on how to proceed.

Roak

That's it. The little tube unscrewed and fell off.

But this tank was sold as "new". it had a May 04 VIP sticker and I bought it in May.. It was made in 2003 as the hydro stamp says 03.
THe older (and first) VIP was done at the PST factory as the PST VIP is still on the tank.

When we took the valve off, even my untrained eyes could see rust
inside. Comment was "Who did the May VIP?, did he even
take the valve off?"

How long does it take for rust to develope in a PST LP 80?
IN the 6 weeks I've owned the tank it's never held less then
500 PSI

ChrisA:
How long does it take for rust to develope in a PST LP 80?
Flash rust can develop in about 30 seconds after a wet tumble. If it appears to be a thin "patina" then it's flash rust, which is somewhat common. You either have to use special chemicals or dry the cylinder with Nitrogen to avoid it.

Roak

What is the "snorkel" for on the valves...is so water doesn't get any further if you're inverted...?? Just curious!

iflyprops:
What is the "snorkel" for on the valves...is so water doesn't get any further if you're inverted...?? Just curious!

Its proper name is "dip tube" and the concept is that if there is any dust (rust dust) or other sediment in the tank- it will not clog the valve if the tank gets inverted.

Its secondary purpose is to fall off on occassion and get a quick service billing for your LDS :D

Another point, there were some plastic dip tubes used in the dark ages of diving.... if you find a plastic one, replace it with a metal one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom