Sort out Apeks configurations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iwander

Reaction score
I'm looking a regs now that I have 50 dives under my belt. A medium range one thats not too expensive. Read a lot of the threads in this section. Having trouble making sense out of Apeks configurations. Aqualung website not very forthcoming with this information. It lists the ATX40 and ATX50 regs but doesnt specify the first stage. In DiveInn and Leisurepro, I see these matched with DST and DS4 1st stages. Do ATX40 and ATX50 come with their own 1st stages and DST and DS4 can replace them? DST is distinguished by the fact that it swivels. But wasnt that the difference between ATX50 and ATX40. Why would anybody want to buy an ATX50 with a DST, since both swivel? Or does the ATX50 swivel pertain to the 2nd stage? A swiveling 2nd stage sounds a bit odd. Wouldnt buying an ATX40+DST provide the same functionality as the ATX50? Another bit of information missing from Apeks/Aqualung website is the weights of each of these stages. Any idea how much each part weighs?

Other comparable regs I looked include Atomic Aquatics Z1 (Unlike Aqualung, Atomic website has a great chart comparing all their regs' features) and Mares Abyss and V16 Proton Metal. These three are $300 at Leisurepro. The rep said they would service these themselves for $40 a pop. Would I be able to get Mares serviced in LDS if I were to buy from an online dealer? Would Leisurepro service for Atomic be competent? Txx for all the responses.

im sure you can find tons of posts on this by searching, but i'll give you the quick answer

atx40 second stage- good second stage with no adjustment knob

atx50 second stage- same as atx 40 with adjustment knob

DST first stage- "dry sealed turret" good first stage with enviromental seal and swivel turret

DS4 first stage- same as DST except no swivel turret.

all apeks second stages can be matched with all first stages
you will also find very little difference between the models shown by the fact the the guts and repair kits are pretty much the same for all models

a bunch of people are probally going to post and say buy the atx 50 with DS4. that happens to be the setup i run and have about 5 sets between my single tank/double tank/girlfriend rig/ etc. it is bulletproof and you will not be happier. I have had my to 155 on air and they breathe the same as at the surface. Also the water happened to be 36 deg. F. So i trust my life to them.

this combo can be hard to find in the usa. If this is what you want you might try some of the online vendors in Spain or England as they will make this combo up for you for an excellent price. You can find DS4's at this website for a very low price of around 120 somthing dollars.

http://www.diverswarehouse.co.uk/

kinda bad website but from what i hear everyone is getting what they ordered. i just ordered on fri so i'll see.

http://www.diveinn.com seems to have the best deal on atx50 second stages right now for 150 ish. they also have the atx50 DS4 combo, so you could order as a set or piece together depending on however the money and shipping work out for you.

If you like the turret style first stage from what i have heard the DST is a very good first stage and the turrent dosn't ever give anyone probs. Just not my personal choice. this combo can be found in the usa at leisure pro and other places as well as overseas.

the atx40 are supposed to be very good as well but lack the adjustment knob. I choose not to use this model but im sure its just as good. However the atx50 is a couple bucks more and has the knob. I use the adjust know on my bungied necklace backup reg to detune it and help it not to freeflow on accident (not that this is really a prob anyway though). If you need the backup (very unlikely) then just pop it in your mouth and tune the knob up and its rocking.

both the atx40 and atx50 have the same performance as far as cold water goes ( other than the fact that you can detune the atx50) at they are the same. If you do buy the atx40's you can add the adjust knob later when you have it serviced or by someone that know's what they are doing. The part dosn't cost much to add, Hince why not just by it the first time.

the DS4 and DST performace will be exactly the same. Some people like swivels and some people don't. Your choice. If you someday go to doubles than the swivels will give you problems on your twinset. However many people perfer them on their deco bottles. I use DS4's all around on the doubles, deco, and argon just for the sake of being the same, but that is just my pref.

Most people would say stay away from the more expensive apeks such as the 200 as it will perform the same as the atx40 and atx50. Also most people would say the minimum apeks you should by is the atx40. As the atx20 is not a cold water performer. don't get the 20 and don't wast your time on the 200, but somewhere in between is ideal.

whatever you get in the middle you will be happy with and will prob never have to buy anything else.

good luck
kurt

what every you choos

Yes, The ATX40 and 50 both come with the DST swivel first stage. As an option you may request the DS4 first stage with the ATX50 second. The ATX40 however only comes with the DST first stage. If you go to the Apeks site it will tell you under regulators which comes with which.
www.apeks.co.uk

The detailed DS4 vs DST and ATX50/ATX40 explanations are great. Looked at diveinn and see DST+ATX50+ATX40 for $460 but they also charge $33 for shipping to US and 4.2% sales and duties. If I buy from UK and Spain, will I be able to get it serviced here in the States? It seems Aqualand/Apeks also doesnt look kindly on internet buys.

Paragon Sports in NYC has the Aqualand Legend LX plus LX octo for sale at $450+12% sales tax. I wonder if I should go with that instead. I looked at Rodale's Oct 02 tests comparing - among others - ATX50 and Legend LX. For Breathing Simulator ATX50's scores are 5,4,4,4 and it also kept working for 75 RMV @ 198 fsw. In comparison Legend LX gets 5,5,5,5 (maximum scores) and also kept working for 75 RMV @ 198 fsw. For the usage tests like breathing ease, bubble interference, wetness, ATX50 has average score of 3.4 and Legend LX has 3.9 (pretty close to the top scoring MK25T/S600 at 4.1). However Legend LX is not environmentally sealed and not sure how it would be in cold water, say in California or New Jersey in the summer. I think Dutch Springs quarry at the bottom gets to 50F, maybe lower. On the other hand the British mag Diver (http://www.divernet.com/equipment/1202regtest2.htm) reviewers state that ATX200 was prone to freeflow in their general review of regs. They gave a glowing review of the Legend LX Supreme which got an ANSTI score of .7 joules/liter whereas ATX100 and 200 got around .96 joules/liter. Legend LX must be just as good because it doesnt have the dry sealing.

The other reasonable option is Scubatoys Mares v16 Proton Metal plus octo for $390+shipping. Rodale's Jul 04 issue gives this reg a score of 51 (less than Aqualungs new Calypso at 53 and top score of 57 for MK25/X650). The Breathing Simulator scores of 5,4,5,4 are not as high as the Legend LX as well as a bit lower for general usability scores. The 75 RMV @ 198 test was not done apparently for this review but considering Mares Abyss holds the deep dive record and Proton XL meets this test tells me v16 Proton Metal is up to it. Mares regs seem to work fine in cold water but I am a little hazy about this (2 much information in 2 short time).

Given all these considerations, I guess I would love to get opinions about how Legend LX work in California and PA/NJ, and if I can get Apeks bought on the net serviced in US. Any thoughts about how the the three (ATX50 vs Legend LX vs v16 Proton Metal) compare will also be appreciated.

All apeks all over the world are the same. If you take it to a apeks dealer and say i want it serviced if they want your business then they will service it. If they give you trouble go somewhere else. The place i take mine i pay for the parts kit and the labor and it's not to bad. Alot of people also do the work themselves if you can find the parts and are confident in your work. This is the direction i am heading as im starting to get alot of apeks stuff.

As far as import duties ive heard of people talk about having to pay them , but the 4 or so times ive ordered from dive inn, ive never had to pay, or got a bill. I also heard of some people gettting billed and some people not. Plus you usually saving so much money buying thru them that it would still be worth it, as compared to my local shop at least.

another thing about the cost of shipping from diveinn. You will get your order in 2 or 3 days. Your in Cali i think so it might go the other way i don't know. but me here in missouri it comes in NY and from when i hit submit on the website my gear is on my door 2 days later. (faster than ordering stuff in the states like leisurepro).

i can't say much for the legend or mares reg as ive never dove them. I have heard people say good things about the legend though, however if both regs are not the sealed type they they wouldn't work much for the diving ive been doing. They nice thing about the sealed apeks is when you in the cold, they work great, they when you go warm water diving they still work great. An unsealed warmer water reg dosn't do so well going back the other way. If you get a nice sealed unit, you'll never have to worry about water conditions being a factor.

good luck
kurt

Hi,

I just swapped from Apeks ATX50 to the Legend LX and I have to say that the LX breathes better IMHO.

Tough call I guess given your location. Obviously being UK based it wasn't part of the decision for me.

Good luck in your choice.

Hoppy

goatboy_k:
All apeks all over the world are the same. If you take it to a apeks dealer and say i want it serviced if they want your business then they will service it.
I think that the issue was if the warranty was valid. Technically the shop cannot guarantee that you have been servicing your regs annually to maintain the warranty. Therefore, if you haven't and they warranty your parts, they wil SOL when they send in the serials to find out that the reg hasn't been serviced in , say 3 years. If you don't have to pay parts it is significant enough that you will be thankful. you wil cut your service cost by at least 50% if you maintain a warranty.

goatboy_k:
If they give you trouble go somewhere else.
I agree if they don't want to service it all together, i wouldn't bee seen there again.

goatboy_k:
Alot of people also do the work themselves if you can find the parts and are confident in your work. This is the direction i am heading as im starting to get alot of apeks stuff.
Now this is treading on uneven ground. I would have to disagree. I don't want to turn this into a do it yourself or have it done forum as there are plenty out there. But just know that you are doing it once a year on one or two regs, and the techs are doing it everyday on mulitiple regs. Now that is not to say that all techs are wizzards, but I would find a good one with who's job you are satisfied with, and stick with it. Just a like a car mechanic. ...

The Legend Lx is environmentally sealed. At least thats what their website says. You can always get the LX Supreme if you're diving in really cold waters. I ordered one from Diveinn and received it within 3 days. Didn't have to pay any additional taxes or imports.

Skyjunky:
The Legend Lx is environmentally sealed. At least thats what their website says.
I guess it is technically environmentally sealed. It doesn't use a dry chamber or silicone like Apeks or USD though. It uses a system similar to a poseidon. The hole that allows the water to thouch the reg reg is so big that the water flows in and then out without a chance to freeze because the hole is to big to trap any water for a length of time.

Back
Top Bottom