Sorry to bug, one quick question about Beqa in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Sorry to bug everyone, but I have a quick add-on to my previous post and I'm having a bit of trouble with the edit feature. I've heard that there's a luxury resort that opened on Beqa Island called Kulu Bay. Has anyone heard of that property? Do they have dive facilities and is there good diving in their area?
Thanks again
-Mantasscareme

Kulu Bay is an awesome resort, we stayed there 7 nights and did 12 dives in Beqa Lagoon. Its very quiet with only 7 well appointed cottages, to call them a Bure' would be an insult as they're all outfitted with fantastic quality IKEA furniture and top notch service with your own dedicated room attendant.

We were half tempted to stay at Marlin Bay Resort which is just a 5 minute boat ride away in the next bay 'round the island, and I"M SO GLAD WE DIDN'T........Marlin Bay is pretty run-down in comparison and much much larger a outfit. We also laughed at the cattle boats loaded with over a dozen divers, as we had the Kulu Bay dive boat for just me and my wife.

There isn't any nightlife at Kulu Bay, but if you imagine staying on "Gilligans island" with the furniture from a Sheraton or Hilton hotel, then you're pretty close to being on target. Even the snorkling is awesome right out front of the resort as the resort is so new that clumsy people haven't kicked the crap out of it yet. The resort is solar powered, but all rooms have 120 VAC 60 hz lights, wall outlets and ceiling fans. All rooms are at max 15' from the water at high tide with porches overlooking the white sand and bay. The food is very good, and generous in portions but they only offer 1 or two selections per meal, so you're not ordering off a menu of 40 different items.

The Shark Feeding dive when the 12-14' long nurse and bull sharks were less that 10-15 feet away was a highlight of the trip, as well as rafting down the Upper Navuea (sp?) River gorge on the mainland.

After diving in Belize, Florida Keys, Hawaii, Cozumel, and Seattle Puget Sound, Kulu Bay and Beqa Lagoon is one place that we most definately will be going back to.

They have a small on-site dive shop, brand new twin engine twin hull cat boats, and jet ski rentals too. All 12 dives we did were fantastic, Soft coral capital of the world is an accurate definition.

http://www.kulubay.com/

PM me for more details, or if you want to see some of the 2000 photos we took during our 2 week Fiji trip.

Dave

There's a lot of controversy as to whether the diving in Beqa is on par with the rest of Fiji. Discounting the shark dive (I'm not particularly into shark diving). how does Beqa stack up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom