Sorry but APEKS XTX50 or Atomic Z3??? Help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1-Apeks is fully sealed without paying for goop to be packed in there, that's a no brainer for salty stuff since you don't have to be as diligent about soaking and flushing

2-Atomics WoB is fantastic, but the Apeks is no slouch, you are not a calibrated ANSTI breathing machine, and unless you are one, or are a diver that is regularly analyzing different regulators side by side, you won't be able to tell a difference.

Most important thing. Atomic is now owned by Huish and based on that alone I would not recommend you purchase from that brand because of a myriad of reasons.

If you get the XTX50, get the DST first stage, not the DS4. It's a bit bigger, but has 2x HP ports if that matters for you if you go to WAI, and has the swivel port which makes hose routing a bit better
And why is being owned by Aqualung any better than being owned by Huish?

Both are excellent choices. I have both and prefer the Atomics.

ask about parts availability and dealing with Huish in general... It's a LOT less bad with aqualung than with Huish
I can get parts for both. The UK guys also forget that Apeks stuff is a lot cheaper in the UK compared to the states.

I can get parts for both. The UK guys also forget that Apeks stuff is a lot cheaper in the UK compared to the states.

I'm talking about dealers being able to get parts from Huish, not end-users being able to get parts *which can only be had grey market as both companies forbid sale of parts to end-users*. I agree that Apeks is horrific in the US, and neither of them are regs I'd spend that kind of money on, but they're both equally good. Huish is just a worse company to deal with than Aqualung.

The Atomic Z3/Z2 or any other Atomic model is one of the most (if not the most) reliable regulator out there in addition to its best performance. I go for several years between servicing (3 - 5) and not have any issues with the regulator performing like new. This reliability is unique to Atomic and saves lots of $$$ others spend on servicing their regulators every 2 - 3 years.

I would recommend to get the Z2 not the Z3 since the only difference is the overpriced second stage hose swivel that is permanently attached to the hose. You should buy a Z2 and buy a third party swivel and you will save lots of $$. I'd also buy a sealed Z2 first stage.

or don't drink the industry kool aid and service your regs when they actually need it. my money is on the conshelf as the last reg standing if tested to that standard.

I'm talking about dealers being able to get parts from Huish, not end-users being able to get parts *which can only be had grey market as both companies forbid sale of parts to end-users*. I agree that Apeks is horrific in the US, and neither of them are regs I'd spend that kind of money on, but they're both equally good. Huish is just a worse company to deal with than Aqualung.
Again, that end-user BS is a US thing. I have no problems getting parts for both in Germany. My LDS also has little issues getting parts from Atomics. The part I waited a very long time for was an Apeks part. In any case, let’s assume the OP will have his regs serviced at a reputable facility. In that case he wouldn’t have an issue with Apeks or Atomics ...... Holdings companies suck almost in all aspects of business; not just in the scuba business.

Again, that end-user BS is a US thing. I have no problems getting parts for both in Germany. My LDS also has little issues getting parts from Atomics. The part I waited a very long time for was an Apeks part. In any case, let’s assume the OP will have his regs serviced at a reputable facility. In that case he wouldn’t have an issue with Apeks or Atomics ...... Holdings companies suck almost in all aspects of business; not just in the scuba business.

agreed on the end-user bs *though at least one of the dealers last year in Germany lost their dealership with Aqualung because of sending parts to the US and it happens to one every couple of years and you can't get them from the bigger shops. It is written into their agreements that they aren't supposed to sell outside of their region, both regulators and parts*, but my comment was specifically directed at a VERY large reg repair house *one of the big ones that dive shops send their stuff into for repair*, having a 6-8 week lead time for standard parts kits from Atomic as of 2-3 weeks ago. It may not be a big deal at a LDS who keeps stuff in inventory, but these guys overhaul probably a dozen Atomics every week, which is maybe 10% of their total overhauls, and are looking at that long of a lead time. All of the Huish brands are suffering from this right now. Weirdly it is probably faster to get hard parts than it is the service kits, but it's just the way that company is run that I can't get behind

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom