Sorry another tipping question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fionab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A group of us from the UK have booked a whole boat liveaboard for October 2007, we paid our initial deposit of £250 last October and due to pay a further £500 this October.

Our tour operator has just been informed by the boat operator of the following The owners have decided to impose this mandatory charge on British and European groups so they are adding £206 to the cost of the holiday.

Now we have no objection to tipping for good service but is this just a a get out clause for poor service.

I haven't done a liveaboard in the Americas before so I have no idea what is a normal tip for a 10 day trip. Some of the cruise forums say about $10 per day per person is the norm, but I would welcome your comments.

Some of my group are not at all happy with this and there is talk of mutiny :(

The $10 thing might be for a day boat. Cruise forums? What the heck would they know?

Liveaboards? 10% of the liveaboard price is a nice reward.

Sorry to say, some operators might put this in... as many from across the pond are not used to our "normal/standard" tips for good service. I was just on a liveaboard in the Red Sea. I was told by them that they just loved Americans who, although they were constantly diving (versus just on vacation), that they did tip "well" comparatively.

If it's true, say so. Who is the operator? That will be the test of a real answer. (Is this the Galapagos trip you have been posting about?) What's the name?

RoatanMan:
The $10 thing might be for a day boat. Cruise forums? What the heck would they know?

No need to be quite so aggressive.

roatanman:
Sorry to say, some operators might put this in... as many from across the pond are not used to our "normal/standard" tips for good service. I was just on a liveaboard in the Red Sea. I was told by them that they just loved Americans who, although they were constantly diving (versus just on vacation), that they did tip "well" comparatively.

If it's true, say so. Who is the operator? That will be the test of a real answer.

No we are not used to your "normal / standard" of tipping which doesn't mean we are a bunch of tight buggers. We have a different standard of living than you do.

I would rather not mention the boat just yet, however you are implying that I am not telling the truth.

Fact is if I receive good service I will tip the normal rate if I think I have received poor or below par service then I should have the right to reflect this in my tipping. If they include it in the price I don't have that choice.

Also I don't understand your "versus just on vacation" comment. Most of us in the UK are diving throughout the year and not just holiday divers.

Our Galapagos trip is a very expensive trip and not one we do every year. I am sorry I even posted.

We did a Nekton trip and the suggested tip was 10% of the trip price per person (not including airfare). The service was fantastic and my husband and I each put $200 in the envelopes that were provided for guests who were leaving tips, that was 10% of the trip cost.
Ber :lilbunny:

fionab,
i'm sure your group will have a splendid dive holiday.
everytime i go on a liveaboard i leave at least a 10% gratuity.

sometimes if an individual crew member goes beyond the call of duty i will slip them $20-$50 just for them.

try walking a mile in their flip flops.
they are not on holiday.
they are working.
their job is to serve you.
regards,

BTW, when my husband saw how much Nekton suggested for a tip when we received the trip information he said, "There is no way I'm tipping $200 for a dive trip." When the trip was over he happily put $200 in the envelope and so did I, the crew definitely earned that $400.
Ber :lilbunny:

Fionab:
A group of us from the UK have booked a whole boat liveaboard for October 2007, we paid our initial deposit of £250 last October and due to pay a further £500 this October.

Our tour operator has just been informed by the boat operator of the following The owners have decided to impose this mandatory charge on British and European groups so they are adding £206 to the cost of the holiday.

I can't tell from your post what's going on.

Is this some type of additional change to cover fuel prices, or is it instead of a tip or in addition to a tip, or did they change the trip price?

What country is the trip leaving from?

Terry

Web Monkey:
I can't tell from your post what's going on.

Is this some type of additional change to cover fuel prices, or is it instead of a tip or in addition to a tip, or did they change the trip price?

What country is the trip leaving from?

Terry

Terry, it is instead of paying a tip at the end of the trip. Apparently us Brits and Europeans aren't quite a generous as you guys across the pond.

A friend of mine was recently on the same boat and decided not to tip the usual 10% as the regular dive guide wasn't on the boat and he felt the one they had didn't actually care and didn't brief at all well. Therefore his attitude was reflected in the tip.

They are adding on nearly 30% of the cost of your trip as a gratuity (did I do the math right)? This doesn't sound right in any country.

Tipping is more of a gut feel "guilt factor"...........there is no standard. But I always take $100 in $1 bills on any trip just to spread the love.

I've left a dive master in Fiji with a brand new $100 scuba pro mask, his was WELL worn and torn, mossy and moldy to be exact.

I've gave another dive guide in Belize my dive light, the whole resort didn't have any.

They just can't get these things in other parts of the world. so thats a better gift than just cash.

Back
Top Bottom