Sorong possibly no longer LOB departure point for Raja Ampat in future?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I stumbled upon a listing for Gaia Love, a newer liveaboard for Indonesia. Don’t worry...I’m not booking another liveaboard....yet. :D

In the details section on the PADI Travel website, I noticed a blurb about a possible change in departure ports for all Raja Ampat LOBs. A copy/paste is below. Has anyone heard any mumblings about it?

I wonder how quickly it will happen if/when it’s decided. Sorong is not the easiest to get to given flight patterns/schedules compared to other Indo destinations and if travelers already have a confirmed flight to Sorong, it will become even more “So Wrong” if another 2 hour ferry ride is tacked onto it barring purchasing another flight. I haven’t looked into or know whether Waisai is easier or more difficult to fly into compared to Sorong.

• Currently this trip is scheduled to use the port of Sorong(SOQ). However, the government of Raja Ampat is considering to ask all liveaboards on Raja Ampat trips to go through the port of Waisai in the future. Waisai is about a 2h ferry ride from Sorong and has its own small airport, Marinda airport (RJM).
  • There is NOT a confirmed date for this change in regulation yet. We highly recommend that all guests check our website or contact the PADI Travel customer support before booking their domestic flights.

Our LDS group will be on the Gaia Love in Raja in late November. Wonder where we'll leave from? It'll be another adventure to play out.
Thanks for sharing the information.

Rob

I recently read about that someplace as well and asked a few days ago on our trip. Got plenty of ranting and eye rolling about the problems with the idea from cruise director. But I didn't really get a sense of when it might happen or if it would really happen - question really got her going and I couldn't interject enough to get that specific answer LOL. She talked about the logistics problems - basically that while Sorong isn't great, there is at least infrastructure to fuel and somewhat supply all those liveaboards. She estimated that Waisai could currently fuel about 2 of those boats. So while the government may wish to encourage development in a different area or whatever the motivation is, practically speaking it sounds like it can't happen unless/until some of the infrastructure issues are addressed. Simple enough to inconvenience visitors, but if the boats can't get food and fuel...

Waisai needs major upgrades to be able to handle the lob traffic. It's also not really the best choice for southern RA itineraries. Makes Misool even more of a hassle than it already is. I can imagine them splitting the departures, but for southern itineraries Sorong is exponentially more logical.

Logic may not apply.

Maybe, I should go to RA this year instead of next year. I was thinking of going in Feb or March of 2019.

This is what I got from Explorer Ventures, partnered with White Manta (Blue Manta and Raja Manta are the LOBs):

"At this time none of our trip itineraries have been affected by the changes and for Raja Ampat departures we will still depart & disembark at Sorong (SOQ).

The new procedure for collecting diving tags & ensuring support for the local economy in Waisai was implemented this season and has been managed within the framework of our existing itineraries. Liveaboards are now required to visit Waisai to collect RA park permits & show support to the local economy by purchasing fuel & a percentage of supplies at Waisai as opposed to Sorong, currently we are able to manage this without changing our itineraries. Of course should there be any changes in the future we would let all our agents & guests know directly.

The new procedures do mean it is more important than ever to ensure guest's details (especially passport information) is supplied well in advance of trip departure. In order to avoid delays and potential disruption to our itineraries we request all such details are provided no later than two weeks prior to departure, ideally we prefer to have all details in hand at least one month prior."

I have heard about this at a couple resorts in RA. The rationale that has been told to me is that, as Sorong is not part of the Raja Ampat regency (I may be using the wrong term here), the local people do not benefit from the LOB business that RA generates. A second rationale is that Sorong has been developed as a business port (with tourism added as an afterthought, and Wasai is to be developed as a tourist port, with the LOBs going in and out of Wasai, and flights going to Wasai instead of So Wrong.

The issue in my mind is whether the Indo gov't develops RA as a mass tourism area or a specialized tourism area. I know that people at Misool Eco Resort say that they have heard that there have been discussions of a mass tourism site not terribly far from MER.

- Bill

I have heard about this at a couple resorts in RA. The rationale that has been told to me is that, as Sorong is not part of the Raja Ampat regency (I may be using the wrong term here), the local people do not benefit from the LOB business that RA generates. A second rationale is that Sorong has been developed as a business port (with tourism added as an afterthought, and Wasai is to be developed as a tourist port, with the LOBs going in and out of Wasai, and flights going to Wasai instead of So Wrong.

The issue in my mind is whether the Indo gov't develops RA as a mass tourism area or a specialized tourism area. I know that people at Misool Eco Resort say that they have heard that there have been discussions of a mass tourism site not terribly far from MER.

- Bill

Thread drift alert - just arrived back in Singapore from Samulaki, via Bali. Excellent diving @Misool, Banda Sea, and the Forgotten Islands.

Is there any update on this ... or has it died a natural death?

Back
Top Bottom