Sore toe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,
So I'm new to diving and Scuba Board...and I have a question. I'm in the middle of my basic open water class and I seem to be having problems with my booties/fins. For some reason my right toe starts hurting while diving and I've tried many different bootie/fin combinations to try to fix it. I'm perplexed as to why this problem is happening. I originally tried a size 6 boot and thought that maybe it was too small, so I went up to a size 7. However the problem still occurred. Then I tried a different fin as I felt that perhaps the fin was pressing down on my toe, causing the problem. That didn't work. Then I tried a different boot, one that has more room in the toe area, with the fin that didn't press down on my toe...and my toe still hurt. It's only my right toe. The left one is fine.

My question is, what is causing it? Do I need a wider fin, too? Is it because there's too much room and maybe there's rubbing? However, it feels more like the problem you get when your shoes are too tight.

Do I just have to keep trying on every boot and fin on the planet until I find the right fit? Or could the boots/fins I tried on last be fine and my toe just hurt because it's still bothered from before? (However, my toe felt pretty good prior to getting in the pool).

So, any advice? Has anyone else had this issue? I don't think there's anything wrong with my toe as it feels fine in between dives.

Thanks!

Welcome to the board. Sounds like the wrong size fin. What does your instructor say? Have you tried full foot fins without boots just to make sure it is not your toe? Is one of your feet bigger than the other? They do say the right foot is bigger than the left on most people and is true with me.

Try adjusting the fin a little looser. If I pull the straps too tight, My toes will hurt. You don't need your fin to be very tight, in most situations. Tight straps is the usual cause.

Had that problem once. I cut the nail shorter and problem solved. Hope it's that simple for you. Good luck

You might also just try and relax and "pay attention" to what you're doing with your feet. I have a tendancy to make "fists with my toes" when just hanging, or getting into a 'frog position' with my feet up a bit and 'fanning' by rotating my ankles side-to-side for very gentle movements. Ends up causing the 'arches' of my feet to cramp sometimes. If I recognize I'm doing that and just concentrate on keeping my feet relaxed, it doesn't happen. Maybe you're doing something similar in terms of unconsciously 'pushing' with the toe on one foot but not the other, kind of like you're trying to overcompensate for a weaker leg's finning or something...

Have you looked at your booties? If you are not careful, when putting them on with wet feet, they can develop a "suction" against your foot ... this leads to foot cramps when finning. Make sure you press your finger along the edge to release the trapped air...

Hey Z
A good fit is a combination of the boot and fin working together to make a proper fit.
A fin and boot combo that fits well is one that becomes very snug across the top of your instep very close to the bend in your ankle. It should be tight but only in the first inch where the fin foot pocket comes close to your ankle and only across the top of the foot (not on the sides). This is where all of your power will come from. If it is loose here, then you will use your big toe to help stabilize the fin and this may be where your pain is coming from. A fin should be propelled by the top of your foot close to your ankle and not the entire top of your foot or your toes (if your toes or tendons on top of your foot are used to propel the fin, you will get cramping in your toes, arch and calf. Keep trying combos in the store till you find the tightest pair across the top of your foot with the most room you can find in the toe box of the fins foot pocket.

Hope that made sense!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Thanks for everybody's help.

I tried a combo of boots/fins and I think I found one that worked. My instructor had me wear socks under the boots to give more it cushion. Then I tried adjusting my fins so they felt snug, but not too tight. The last time I went diving, my toe didn't bother me. So I think it was a combo of a bunch of factors. Hopefully that problem doesn't come back!

Thanks for all of your suggestions...they were great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom