Soooo Excited!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I did a 1 tank dive (with a snorkel trip to shark ray alley), and I was a bit disappointed with the dive part. We went to Hol Chan but because of the current, we werent allowed to go to the "cut", which is kind of the whole point. We spent most of our time in about 15 to 20 feet of water and saw some fish and a few rays, but that was about it. Not what I was hoping for.

Sooooo, we went to Lamanai today with the families and that was cool. But I wanted more diving damnit!!! I currently have a 3 tank dive scheduled for Esmerelda tomorrow morning at 8. We had hurricane style weather here this morning so I hope it doesn't happen tomorrow. If it does I am going to try and postpone till the afternoon and see if it clears. Because a 3 tank dive is so cheap, I am also looking at more options as I am here for another 5 days, but the winds are supposed to pick up again. Wish me luck!!!

Lamina, as in means 'submerged crocodile?' Did that on a cruise ship stop a few years back; boat ride up New River, walked in the rain forest, visited 3 Mayan ruins (Mask Temple, Tall Temple, Jaguar Temple, I think); climbed atop the 1st two. Is that what you did? Was a cool thing; I hope to take our daughter for that when she's old enough.

Sharks are neat, but give it time. There's a lot to enjoy under the waves.

Richard.

Yeah, we did that ruin, and it was awesome! We took a boat from our dock on the island up the river to a small village, then rode a bus to another dock where we took another boat up to the ruins site. Super humid and hot though. The boat rides were a lot of fun and it was a great way to see some of the country side.

Off for my dive here in a bit. Wish me luck!

OMG!!!!!! We had three AWESOME dives yesterday!!!! Soooo glad that we went and it totally was what I had expected and more. So here is the long and the short of it.

Got picked up at our dock at 8:30am and promptly headed to Christ of the Abyss. We descended down to about 35 feet to gather everyone together, then headed over the reef to the AWESOME swim through between two coral reefs. It was about a bit more than shoulder length wide at the entry and 85-87 feet depth. The ceiling was not totally enclosed, so light shone through except for one short section that was completely covered over and pretty dim. The swim through took about 2 or three minutes, and we exited a large opening in the reef and headed up to about 40 feet to wait for others to join us. One lady in our group had some buoyancy issues and had her tank stuck in the top of the ceiling for a few seconds, but others were able to help her get back down and exit. She said later when we got to the boat that she was a bit shaken by it. We never made it to the Christ statue because of air consumption issues, but it was an awesome dive. Saw some grouper, a sea turtle, and lots of nurse sharks.

Second dive was to Tres Cocos. It was also a great dive at about 60 foot depth at its deepest. We saw lots of great marine life (nurse sharks, grouper, other colorful fish, but no turtles or rays sadly). Pretty uneventful but very fun and enjoyable dive. This one lasted about 43 minutes. When we surfaced, it was very rough seas. We were still easily able to get back on the boat, but it was rockin and rollin, causing one of the ladies to lose her lunch. She was very cool about it all and was not at all embarrassed. The group we were with were only doing those two dives and were done. So we headed back to the dive shop at the beach where we took on new tanks for the third dive before dropping the other group back off at the resort.

Last dive of the day was Esmeralda to Tackle Box Canyon. It was just my dad, brother and I on this one so it was super chill and laid back. We all have about the same SAC so it was perfect diving in terms of depth and time. Seas were even rougher when we got outside the reef. Water was totally coming over the bow when we descended the other sides of big waves. The boat captain and guide were really enjoying it. The dive was awesome of course. Again, lots of reef life, huge nurse sharks, and the highlight of the dive.......REEF SHARKS!!!! We saw THREE of them swim on into the canyon below us and back out another canyon as we were passing by. What a great show! Our dive guide was super excited to see them too, which makes it all the more enjoyable. After a10 minute safety stop (guide extended our surface stops by two minutes each dive we did which I thought was very cool), we surfaced to SUPER rough waters and no boat in sight!!! It took about 5 minutes for the boat to locate us but once again we were able to get back on board without issue, and we were all returned to our resort safely.

I am so very excited and happy that we were able to get these dives in, especially because the winds are very high today and I doubt many if any boats are going outside the reef for those dives today.

Attachments

• GOPR4261.JPG
    GOPR4261.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 37
  • GPExportPhoto.jpg
    GPExportPhoto.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks and you got to see El Tiberon! Muy bueno!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom