Sony rx100 v

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

White balance setup menu: Once you access the white balance setup menu through one of these three methods, you use the scroll wheel to pick a particular white balance setting. You can pick among auto white balance, underwater auto white balance, cloudy, sunny, incandescent, and several more. You can also pick a specific color temperature in Kelvin, or you can set up three specific Kelvin temperatures in advance and then pick Kelvin 1, 2, or 3

hello tks alot for clear explanation,

this is the story......when i shot underwater without flash with my canon G12 it is very easy: i assigned the shortcut button (only one available) to the custom white balance, so i just point my camera to some white thing (a slate, my fins, sand, etc) and take the shot ........ shazam....im done in a couple of seconds

with the sony i did not understand if possible or not, reading your explanation it seems that is possible only to pick the pre-set balance (underwater, cloudy, sunny, etc) or choose among Kelvin temperatures.......

....actually the best (only) way to setup the white balance is to take a picture to some white thing and use it as reference

of course this is valid when i shot underwater without flash, when i use the flash i just setup auto or flash and it is fine in 99% of cases

tks alot!

this is the story......when i shot underwater without flash with my canon G12 it is very easy: i assigned the shortcut button (only one available) to the custom white balance, so i just point my camera to some white thing (a slate, my fins, sand, etc) and take the shot ........ shazam....im done in a couple of seconds

with the sony i did not understand if possible or not, reading your explanation it seems that is possible only to pick the pre-set balance (underwater, cloudy, sunny, etc) or choose among Kelvin temperatures.......

....actually the best (only) way to setup the white balance is to take a picture to some white thing and use it as reference

of course this is valid when i shot underwater without flash, when i use the flash i just setup auto or flash and it is fine in 99% of cases

tks alot!
Here are a couple good articles that might help you with setting your white balance. They are very general and are definitely not camera specific, so they won't help with the Sony RX100, but they will give you some guidelines as to the settings to use.

Ambient Light and White Balance
Getting Good Blues Underwater

In practice, I have found that the most effective and the most efficient way to deal with white balance is to shoot Auto White Balance & RAW and then adjust it in Lightroom when I get home.

hello....... tks for support.... yes i have been thru the articles.......... but still generic

actually i would like to understand if is possible to setup a custom white balance with the RX100 in a few seconds like the G12 or not...does not seem to me a rocket science

i think i will try to write to the sony customer care, somehow they should reply.... hopefully

tks alot!

Wow, I sure could have saved a ton of my time if you'd asked the specific question you wanted answered. Even more time if you'd just read page 114 of the manual.

hello......... well tks alot for your time.... i surely owe you a beer somehow....

previously i downloaded the manual in english but did not find what im looking for (i checked again after your reply) but maybe i downloaded some old version of the manual, .....this is why i addressed to the forum

but... i found this video in youtube:

it seems that is possible to setup the white balance with the white\grey board but still several steps to follow instead of a single button to press like in the canon g12

i continue my investigation and come back to you, tks alot!

A

That video isn't showing you how to do this quickly. You would be pressing one button to get to what that video starts showing you at 1:22.

At 1:22, he starts scrolling through various white balance choices, but the camera remembers and highlights the last choice you used, so in your case all you would be doing is pressing a second button to accept the choice of Custom Setup that is already highlighted for you (as shown at 1:22).

Next, take a picture of something white.

Press a button to accept the picture as your new white balance.

So, optimized, it would be:
(1) Press your designated custom button
(2) Press the center select button
(3) Take a picture
(4) Press the center select button

Yes i see....
in short to have the much higher photo quality of the RX100 vs my current G12 i need to accept to setup the custom white balance in 4 steps instead of 1...... .. everything comes at a price

i think i know what will be my present for the coming Xmas holidays.....)))

Tks alot for your time and patience Boaty, much appreciated......well tks alot to all other members who helped me in the previous posts!

@aurgolo, do you shoot in RAW, and if so, what do you use for Post Production (PP)?

If you are shooting stills (you inferred that in your initial post) rather than video, then perhaps the best solution is to set the camera to AWB, and let the camera do its best. Then, when you get home, if you are using Lightroom or something similar, you can adjust the white balance easily in PP. Doing it this way, you can still take a picture from time to time of something white (or neutral grey) if you want to and with one click use the "Eyedropper Tool" to set and base the White Balance off of that reading.

@aurgolo, do you shoot in RAW, and if so, what do you use for Post Production (PP)?

If you are shooting stills (you inferred that in your initial post) rather than video, then perhaps the best solution is to set the camera to AWB, and let the camera do its best. Then, when you get home, if you are using Lightroom or something similar, you can adjust the white balance easily in PP. Doing it this way, you can still take a picture from time to time of something white (or neutral grey) if you want to and with one click use the "Eyedropper Tool" to set and base the White Balance off of that reading.

I suggested this twice, but he didn't seem to want to do this for some reason. I still think it's the way to go. Not just because of the white balance but because the quality of the end result will be better.

I suggested this twice, but he didn't seem to want to do this for some reason. I still think it's the way to go. Not just because of the white balance but because the quality of the end result will be better.
Ideally, I think that it is always preferred to capture the image the way you want it in the camera. Fixing White Balance in PP may not be the perfect solution, but given the choice, I would rather spend my time trying to "get it right" after the vacation is done than while I am underwater with a finite amount of air and time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom