Sony RX-100 Mk2 w/Meikon Housing - Anyone using external Strobes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islandboysrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hiya,

Got the Meikon Housing for the Sony RX-100Mk2 over a month now, completed about 6 dives with it using a Video Light with some really good/great/awesome results. I definitely miss having a strobe/flash.

Has anyone successfully connected an external strobe/flash to this specific Meikon housing or similar?

I got dual Sea&Sea YS-01 connected to a RX-100 w/Meikon housing and Inon UWL-100 w/dome lens. The housing has 2 ports that fits the Sea&Sea fiber optic connectors. I just had to cut some electrical tape to block out the internal flash's light.

Without the ability to use the rear dial, I can't access any of the features of the Function button. I would basically shoot mostly in Memory Recall mode with one of the mode being Manual, forced flash @ ISO 80 / f5.6 / 1/200 / 11mm, then I adjust the aperture via the front dial to control the background light level. I'll have other modes being white balanced for underwater, no flash, ISO 200, 1/200, Shutter priority.. for shooting larger creatures too far for the strobe to be effective.

using memory recall is a great quick setting

anyone that everyone been using is to shutter priority and change your shutter speed.. then turn it back to manual and the adjusted shutter speed remains.

I got dual Sea&Sea YS-01 connected to a RX-100 w/Meikon housing and Inon UWL-100 w/dome lens. The housing has 2 ports that fits the Sea&Sea fiber optic connectors. I just had to cut some electrical tape to block out the internal flash's light.

Without the ability to use the rear dial, I can't access any of the features of the Function button. I would basically shoot mostly in Memory Recall mode with one of the mode being Manual, forced flash @ ISO 80 / f5.6 / 1/200 / 11mm, then I adjust the aperture via the front dial to control the background light level. I'll have other modes being white balanced for underwater, no flash, ISO 200, 1/200, Shutter priority.. for shooting larger creatures too far for the strobe to be effective.

Awesome thats exactly the info I needed- do you have a picture of your Rig by chance?

using memory recall is a great quick setting

anyone that everyone been using is to shutter priority and change your shutter speed.. then turn it back to manual and the adjusted shutter speed remains.
Yeah, but my memory recall has all the settings I want, including having the lens slightly zoomed in so as to avoid vignetting with the dome lens, plus I also jump to the large creature memory recall mode whenever something large swims by. I even have a 3rd memory recall for shooting small fish, similar to memory 1, but with tracking focus. So I am in MR 90% of the time. That is why I selected 5.6 & 1/200 @ ISO 80. That's kind of the middle range for the background to be blue, and I adjust up or down =2/+3 stops based on whether there is a bright sunball or overcast. If the background exposure is really off, and I got plenty of time, I might go into manual and fiddle with the shutter speed.

Awesome thats exactly the info I needed- do you have a picture of your Rig by chance?

Here is my setup, Sony RX100 w/Meikon housing, Inon UWL-100 lens & Dome lens, 2 Sea&Sea YS-01 strobe on Sea Arm VII.
uw_setup.jpg

Awesome...
I'm going to apply the tape to the inside of the housing later today. How much area should I cover? I can't help but think this was an oversight in the design.

I don't know if you can see from the picture, I just put some electrical tape on the outside of the housing and cut it so that it wraps around the 2 fiber optic plug holes. I just tested shooting off the internal flash against a blank wall to see how much masking is needed so it doesn't create a noticeable shadow from the port. I didn't cover it until there is absolutely no light coming out since I also dome lens to block the light even more, and the external strobe will be alot brighter than anything the internal flash will throw out.

Back
Top Bottom