Sony P9 U/W Use Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig

Reaction score
In Jan 03, I purchased a Sony:
DSC P9 Digital Camera,
MPK-P9 UW Housing,
HVL-ML20 Video Light w/Mounting Bracket,
VF-MP5K Color Filter Kit.

After reading each Operation Instructions Manual, I was surprised to not find information on the "Do's & Don'ts" of shooting digital underwater photos.

This morning I found this website and after reading some of the other P9 owners comments, I am convinced that "Do's & Don'ts come from owner experience. I am vacationing in Khao Lak, Thailand the end of March 03 where I plan to use the new camera and equipment.

I will appreciate your comments / thoughts on shooting digital underwater photos with the Sony P9 camera or underwater digital camera use in general.

I am looking forward to getting out of the subzero temperatures of Sakhalin, Russia (this morning's temperature, a chilly -32C) to the warm beaches of Khao Lak........

Thank you for your reply.

Craig:cold:

This is my experience with the Sony Px series:
The Sony Px series are fully automatic cameras so you should be aware of this and shoot accordingly. In low ambient light conditions, which is what you will encounter uw, it tends to use the widest aperture at a given focal length and the slowest shutter speed possible. It also does a balancing act with the ISO value if it is set to 'Auto' i.e. increases it if the shutter speed is slow.

Camera settings I used when taking uw pics:
-flash off (unless you want to use it to light the subject)
-force the ISO to 100 or 200
-spot metering on
-macro on
-white balance auto

General tips:
- get as close as possible and use the light (HVL-ML20) you have. This not only lights the subject and puts the 'reds' back into the picture but also helps the camera to focus (the AF gets confused easily). You also get better shutter speeds.
- take as many pics you can - the film's free. Out of 5 pics 1 may turn out decent.

Use dessicants:
- pack as much silica gel into the housing without compromising the waterproofing, blocking the lens or buttons.
- some people use anti-fog on the inside, I find that it leaves a 'smear' on the lens port.

Try:
- shooting with the exposure comp. set to -0.3.

VF-MP5K Color Filter Kit:
I presume that's the orange filter. I generally found that to be a waste of time and money and the results 'orangey' at the best of times (5-9m). Below that depth the results were what I call 'disgusting'.

Hope you have a great time - enjoy!

Craig, agree with Reyer on most points. Here's a response I sent to another person with a P9.

I've got the DSC-P5 and have been using it for a year, 2000 pictures later. Deja, I respect you very much but your advice about the filter could not be more wrong. Every person that has tried the filter on the a Sony digital still camera was very disappointed with the results. One thing nice about digital is instant feedback, try the filter for yourself. The shift in colors by the red filter is nice but less light will hurt you more. IMHO.

The settings I use underwater are as follows. Flash forced On, Low power setting (not what you would guess, any other setting is just to hot), Wide angle (always, forget the zoom underwater), Macro Mode On (if it's out of range of the macro it's to far away), ASA setting I've been using Auto but really think 200 or 400 is the right answer, and everything else Auto. Resist the urge to play with the sharpness, it will increase the contrast, but if overdone will kill the picture.

On the battery life, Keep the Power Save On, I was able to get two dives on one battery but it was a challenge. I would switch on the camera, take a picture and turn it back off. It will charge back up pretty quickly, maybe a hour or two. Be very, very carefull about sealing the case, two big issues, the shape of the o-ring (needs to be very clean, remember one hair or spec of sand and your camera's toast), and the humidity when you seal it. You want very dry air in your camera case anything else and it will fog. A carefull cleaning of the inside of the case will help this also. If it does fog you will not get any pictures till you dry it.

The twilight setting will only slow the shutter speed down way to much and you will get major motion blur. Avoid that setting unless you want artistic shots.

Have you thought about how you are going to attach the camera. It is slightly negative underwater, I have a nightmare of watching my camera dissappearing into the deep blue. What I did was get a stainless steel clip that they use on dog chains. I threaded the lanyard that comes with the case though the clip. I clip that to my BCD strap. The lanyard has a slide on it, I slide it near the camera when I'm getting in the water. That keeps the camera near my right shoulder with no room to flop around. Once at depth, I slide the slide away from the camera and that give me enough slake to hold the camera at arm's length. When not in use, slip it under a BC strap. Getting back on the boat slide the slide near the camera and you'll be ready for those 10' swells.

The other advice is learn everything you can about the camera before you go underwater. You don't want to be going up the learning curve of the camera while swimming in rip current with hammerheads. Shot anything that moves and alot of stuff that doesn't, right now. Remember it's digital and pictures are free. Learn how to switch Macro Off and On quickly. The other feature that is very handy, last picture preview. If your looking at the last picture, hit the zoom button and you can zoom in to check the focus. If not in focus shoot another.

What are you doing for storage?

Alot of information, some may apply some may not. There are samples in my galleries. All were shot with the P5 and internal strobe. I truely love my little Sony and I hope you are sucessfull with yours. Please report back on how it went. Any other questions feel free to e-mail me.

One other thing to try, put that orange filter over the light and use the internal flash for most of the light. This should help alot in getting the reds back that are out of range of the internal flash.

Best of luck and we want to see the results.

from someone who "had" a DSC-P9, MPK-P9, and two HVL-ML20M's

I was shooting in the puget sound and found the 1 light was not enought, so I bought a second one, and then found that there was to much hot spots. While the camera can take some neat photos, I upgraded to another brand. Having said that if your doing basic underwater photography you have a great combination, you might want to consider a fixed strobe because of lighting issues with hot spots, I have seen the Sea & Sea setup with the YS-25DX and the Mount for the P series work very well, email me if you have any questions, or want another HVLML20M I have two forsale.

Back
Top Bottom