Sony NEX-5, Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from a 4 day trip to Malapascua where I tried out my Nauticam NEX-5 for the first time. It was great! I'll post a few pictures up soon and link it here.

I just got back from a 4 day trip to Malapascua where I tried out my Nauticam NEX-5 for the first time. It was great! I'll post a few pictures up soon and link it here.

Please do! Looking to get this housing as well and would love to see some photos of how it held up.
What equipment (strobes/lenses/ect) if any did you use?

Hey bdizzle, I posted some sample shots in a separate thread.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sony/370895-malapascua-shots.html

I used the 16mm 'pancake' with fisheye converter and 4.33" port exclusively. I didn't get the 18-55mm port as I'm waiting for Sony to release the E-mount macro lens they announced at Photokina and hoping that Nauticam will support that lens! :wink:

I currently have a single Sea&Sea YS110a strobe on a strobe arm. Need practice on using the strobe though...

Sony has now entered the mirrorless, EVIL camera race with the NEX-3/5 This image is with the NEX-5 in the Nauticam HA-NEX5 housing with the 16 mm pancake lens, fisheye adaptor, 110 mm (4.33") dome and two Inon Z-240 strobes.

Taken on the CASTOR wreck in Palm Beach County Florida, Mark the diver is using the Hasselblad H4D-50 MP camera and housing.

Phil Rudin

hi phil,

is that the only strobe that are possible to use with the nauticam housing?

The Sony Nex-5 and Nauticam housing are setup to use strobes fired by fiber optic cables. The best choices for strobes in order of cost would be the Sea & Sea YS-01, Inon S-2000 and Inon Z-240 on the high end. The range is from about $440.00 to $750.00.

I have used all three and they are all great choices depending on your needs.

The Nauticam systems will be one of the featured products at our April 16 to 23,2011 workshop in Cozumel Mexico.

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• Flyer_Cozumel_Trip-OFFIAL.jpg
    Flyer_Cozumel_Trip-OFFIAL.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 356
Just bought my Naughty 5 and can't wait for delivery. Looks like they are in big demand as they cant keep the Naught housings for the Nex-5 on the shelves..... 4 week back order at most of the Authorized dealers. Found one that had one on it's way with no order so I snatched it up. I've had Oly camera's before and after reading the OM it looks like it's tough to navigate the menus but I'm still very excited.

Yes I just ordered another one. It is going to be a little while. Looking for about a 3 week delivery time this time.
I have been using one my self for the last 3 months and will be using it again on some fisheye pool shots this weekend.
The fisheye on land is fun too...sorry nothing to post here as I am on this iPad gadget thing. But soon will post lots of NEX 5 nauti cam housing picks
Have fun. A cool machine.

FINALLY! Finally arrived yesterday and I spent the entire evening putting the whole thing together - the Nauticam housing, an Inon S-2000 strobe and the various ports. Ordered on 3/2 so about a month. My only complaint is the documentation was a bit lacking. It wasn't terribly hard to figure out all the bits and pieces, but the instructions could be a *bit* better.

One question, however. Is anyone selling a scratch cover for the LCD Monitor window? I can already see it's going to be a problem.

I got my housing Saturday evening and spent the night putting it together, like Thiad said the instuctions are skimpy but it is very intuitive. I have to agree with Thiad that a screen protector is a must for the rear window of the housing, I'm headed to office mak to see what's available this afternoon. Needs to be abot 6x7cm or a bit bigger and it could be cut to fit. I got my housing in less than 1 week from opticaloceansales.com. Jack was very helpful in guiding me through all the accesories.

I'd like to find a way to mount the macro adapter to my arms or a ball mount does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm headed to office mak to see what's available this afternoon. Needs to be aboot 6x7cm or a bit bigger and it could be cut to fit.

Getting my housing tomorrow. did you find a fix for the viewfinder?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom