Wanted Sony mpk-trb or other large old camcorder housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for an underwater housing or two for other geek projects. I'm looking for large underwater housings for cameras that people no longer care about. Instead of making my own waterproof box, I figure I can re-use something like the Sony MPK-TRB or similar. Old Sony Hi-8 or 8MM. Any vendor. The bigger the better. Funky lenses on the front are worse then flat clear plastic/glass.

Looking for an underwater housing or two for other geek projects. I'm looking for large underwater housings for cameras that people no longer care about. Instead of making my own waterproof box, I figure I can re-use something like the Sony MPK-TRB or similar. Old Sony Hi-8 or 8MM. Any vendor. The bigger the better. Funky lenses on the front are worse then flat clear plastic/glass.
Let me know if you are still looking---if so I will send you some info. Andy

Hello! I ended up buying one off of eBay. So far, I've built the projector and managed to finagle enough battery power to drive the electronics. There is a part I ordered from China that got lost by the USPS, so I had to double up the batteries.

I will post about it over in DIY soon. I took it to the quarry (Lake Phoenix) a few weeks ago but forgot one of the main components, so didn't get to shoot video of it. I hope to this weekend.

Thanks for the offer though! They are really nice housings, and it really has worked pretty well for re-purposing it.

Maybe if I end up building multiple ones that are synchronized somehow using acoustics... I will hit you up :)

Thanks for letting me know. I'll be interested in seeing the finished project. I'm not looking to make a killing on my housing, I just want to see it get used by someone, and make get something cool in a trade.

Hello, I'm late to the thread, I'm interested in what your doing.
I have a very old Sea and Sea very large housing, flat glass on front, holds the old VHS C video camera.
Maybe i can repurpose for a fish pond etc.

Hello, I'm late to the thread, I'm interested in what your doing.
I have a very old Sea and Sea very large housing, flat glass on front, holds the old VHS C video camera.
Maybe i can repurpose for a fish pond etc.

Hello! I did end up finding one of these housing and reused it for a laser projector.

You should be able to drop any kind of camera in there, something more modern and digital. I would make sure that it is waterproof first. In my case the housing didn't have the seal in the proper position and it leaked. Once I realized how it was supposed to sit on there properly there has never been an issue.

If you plan to mount this housing in a pond permanently you will need to probably add holes in it for power and data or video cables. Underwater connectors are pretty expensive. If you won't be deep with it, then you might be able to get away with some kind of glue, epoxy or calking.

You can heat one one of those sneaker candy packs (the do not eat packs of desiccant, or damp-rid) and put that in it to help keep down moisture and fogging.

Also, with it being in a pond it's likely to get pond scum on it and it will need to be cleaned from time to time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom