sony mpk-p9 request for instructions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lok

Reaction score
just bought a used mpk-p9 which came without manual or instructions. has anyone been using an mpk-p9? Could you please provide me with some guidlines, hints and tips? also any particular tips for o-rings? i do not know what is required in order to handle o-rings. thanks

lok:
just bought a used mpk-p9 which came without manual or instructions. has anyone been using an mpk-p9? Could you please provide me with some guidlines, hints and tips? also any particular tips for o-rings? i do not know what is required in order to handle o-rings. thanks

Just did a quick search and found it,

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&m=MPK-P9
(changed link to sony site)

For o-ring's and looking after them search this forum.

Hope that helps.

thanks Mike. i had actually found that manual but it does not say much useful information. it is really strange, it does not say anything maintenance or what not to do and what to look out for trying to avoid. anyway thanks again

I've used my P9 now for around 50 dives and have had no issues at all. I did a review a little while back on this camera. See here. I have the red filter and found this to help take some better pictures in certain conditions.

You can also get an adapter to fit other wide angle lenses. See here.

As for usage. I make sure I clean and re-grease the O-ring every few dives. Normally I might re-grease twice when diving for a week. Then like many people, when you do your check dive you can check for leaks without the camera in the housing. Put some tissue inside and see if it is damp afterwards. I'm fairly confident in the housing now so skip this and just check it in the camera bath on the boat.

Just make sure the area where the O-ring goes is clean and there is no dirt of fluff on the ring itself. Then use some silicon grease and smooth it round the ring. Then put the ring in the camera and there you go! Easy...

I tend to use the filter unless light conditions are poor. I am a warm water, high visibility diver normally so I can do this. In poor light or at night the internal flash, or preferably an external strobe is better.

Some general help on underwater photography can be found here.

Hope this is of some help. If you need more help. PM me.

I also have this housing. Maybe 50-75 dives with it. It's very easy to use. I take the o-ring out at the end of each day and clean and re-grease it. I put a tiny amount of grease on it - like 1/2 the size of a pea. I also use two small desicant packs to absorb moisture although I'm not sure if it matters because I always seal the housing while in an air conditioned room. Never had any trouble with it at all.

Thanks a lot Mark, you have been really helpful. i had actually come across with the review you did while i was searching the net for info.

when the camera arrived it came with an o-ring but when i tried to fit it, the door would not shut. could that be because i did not put grease on it or perhaps that it has deformed, became bigger, and does not fit anymore? i really have to apply a lot of force in order to close and it does not look right at all as the o-ring is not uniform when you try to close the door of the housing.

Anyway, i ordered a new one together with some grease to see the difference. thanks again for your help

Nick

Mark Goodchild:
I've used my P9 now for around 50 dives and have had no issues at all. I did a review a little while back on this camera. See here. I have the red filter and found this to help take some better pictures in certain conditions.

You can also get an adapter to fit other wide angle lenses. See here.

As for usage. I make sure I clean and re-grease the O-ring every few dives. Normally I might re-grease twice when diving for a week. Then like many people, when you do your check dive you can check for leaks without the camera in the housing. Put some tissue inside and see if it is damp afterwards. I'm fairly confident in the housing now so skip this and just check it in the camera bath on the boat.

Just make sure the area where the O-ring goes is clean and there is no dirt of fluff on the ring itself. Then use some silicon grease and smooth it round the ring. Then put the ring in the camera and there you go! Easy...

I tend to use the filter unless light conditions are poor. I am a warm water, high visibility diver normally so I can do this. In poor light or at night the internal flash, or preferably an external strobe is better.

Some general help on underwater photography can be found here.

Hope this is of some help. If you need more help. PM me.

Hi and thanks a lot for your help. I just wanted some further advice and reassurance that the housing is reliable. i am planning to take it down empty for the first time, so we'll see. thanks again

bertschb:
I also have this housing. Maybe 50-75 dives with it. It's very easy to use. I take the o-ring out at the end of each day and clean and re-grease it. I put a tiny amount of grease on it - like 1/2 the size of a pea. I also use two small desicant packs to absorb moisture although I'm not sure if it matters because I always seal the housing while in an air conditioned room. Never had any trouble with it at all.

Back
Top Bottom