SONY E-mount 30mm macro lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The current issue of UWPMAG.com (a free PDF download) has my review of the Sony 30mm macro for E-mount. This lens has much better image quality than the 18-55 zoom at the 55mm end and fast AF. While the lens is hard to use at 1:1 it still covers a wide range of subject sizes between 2"to18" because it has a wider angle of view than most macro lenses for APS-C size sensors.

Phil Rudin​

Terrific will have a read and then will probably purchase! You're sending me broke Phil!
Terri

Photos from E-mount 30mm Marco

Coincidently we just uploaded our Nex-7 housing test gallery here: NA-NEX7 with E-30mm Marco and Nikonos 15mm @ Cebu Feb-2012 - Nauticam Photo Gallery's Photos with most of the photos shot with the E-mount 30mm marco lens. Couldn't agree more with Phil's extensive observation and conclusion of this lens.

Edward

DSC00346-L.jpg

DSC00295-L.jpg

DSC00485-L.jpg

View attachment 117775

Hi,
Any thoughts on using the 30mm macro lens in the 18-55 port, size wise it should fit but how it would go optically im not sure how it would go.

interested in hearing your thoughts, i'm guessing it would have some vignetting if using a diopter and adapter though

cheers

possible that the lens would be too far back in the port and end up having black around the shots?

Regarding the 30mm macro lens in the 18-55 port, the answer is yes and no. The 30 macro will work inside both the flat and dome ports from Nauticam and I am sure from others. The problem is that the lens at 1:1-1:2 is only about three inches from the subject. If an inch or so of that distance is inside the longer 18-55 port you have little to no room between the port glass and the subject. The second problem is that the lens will hunt more and try to focus on the port glass not the subject at times. If you add a close-up lens you reduce the distance between the subject and port glass by as much as 100% depending on the power of the lens, i.e. +5-+10 diopter etc. So yes it will work but not well, you would be much better off with the custom port which in the case of Nauticam works with both the Sony 30mm macro and Panasonic 45mm macro for M4/3 Nauticam housings.

Phil Rudin

Hi

I use the E 30mm macro every week here in switzerland in the Lake of Constance, and i'm very happy with it. Here you find some examples...
Süsswasser 2012 - a set on Flickr

Greetings from Switzerland,

Tino

Back
Top Bottom