Sony DSC-P150 and UW housing tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigDave

Contributor
Reaction score
If anybody has experience using a Sony DSC-P150 (or near equivalent) and the Sony underwater housing, please PM me. I'd like to get some tips, especially in the area of focus control!

Thank you!
David H.

I had a Sony DSC P-5 ( last seen in the vicinity of Witch's Hut at Bonaire) and have a Sony P-10. Without flash I use "P" (programmed) mode; spot metering and focusing; usually set the ISO to 200; select the fluorescent light illumination compensation setting; and use the macro (flower symbol).

Since the on camera flash is blocked by the lens ring of your housing an external slave flash is essential. With an external flash, I set the internal flash to "low level" to conserve my battery; ISO 100 to force the flash; and a daylight compensation setting.

The housing is clear so you can check your "O" ring seal easily. Soaking the housing in clean fresh water for 20 minutes will get the salt out of the mechanisms.

Finally, while it is expensive, a 20mm or 14 mm wide angle lens really helps this camera. Sea and Sea makes an adapter and accessory wide angle lenses for Sony housings. As well as slave strobes. The external strobe will require an arm of some sort. Attached are a couple of my home made arm, assembled from 1.25" "P" trap drain pipe and some aluminum angle stock.

That's just the kind of help I was looking for, thank you!

David

I have a P150 and before that I had a P5. Afraid I have to disaggree with the above advice. The internal flash is not blocked unless you are really close (like inside where it will focus). The settings I use now are manual exposure with F5.6 and adjust the shutter speed to darken/lighten the background, flash on (med to high setting), macro on (if it's outside then it's to far), auto focus and white balance.

I love the P150 and it's a great little camera that really does not need anything else to get great pictures. Here's some shots from Bonaire this last March when the camera was still new to me.

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/116771/261587.html?1142900839

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/116771/261926.html?1150547955

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/116771/262330.html?1150507083

Cecil, nice pictures. You are really good at finding small stuff.

The P-150 has a different control suite than the P-5 or P-10. Unless I'm missing something, independent aperture or shutter control are not available in those cameras. There is a manual mode setting on the P-150. This will be a big advantage, the Zeiss lens can't hurt either.

I like these websites for digital camera reviews:

www.imaging-resource.com

www.dpreview.com

Regarding the flash cutoff. Several of your macro shots do exhibit light fall off in the lower left quadrant consistent with blocking by the lens port ring.

I have to admit to having very little experience with the P-5 & P-10 cameras without an external flash (Sea&Sea YS 25 Auto) since I bought one just after getting my U/W housing. I really liked the 20mm wide angle lens on this camera. There is a lot to be said for growing into a camera and accessorizing prudently.

I am going over to the Olympus SP-350. The price has dropped enough and the possibilities offerred by shooting RAW images are enticing.

I only use it in manual now that I understand how to use it. Not a bad choice on the Olympus 350. You can grow with that camera.

Myself, I'm to hung up on being a diver who happens to take photographs vs. a photographer that happens to dive.

Cecil:
I only use it in manual now that I understand how to use it. Not a bad choice on the Olympus 350. You can grow with that camera.

Myself, I'm to hung up on being a diver who happens to take photographs vs. a photographer that happens to dive.
Thanks for the update.

Last time I looked, there was not an external flash for the P150 housing.....

Take care,
David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom