Sony DSC-P1 photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the same Yellow Snapper photo and did what I would normally do to it with Adobe PhotoDeluxe....Auto fix, remove the dust (grey fuzzy look), sharpen a teensy bit.

Newhamsters version is striking but not very true to what you see....and that's what we're trying to capture, isn't it? Yellowtail Snappers are NOT blue! :D Altering photos can be alot of fun but then they turn into art, no longer photographs.

I can take an OK picture and with a bit of manipulation make it a masterpiece but then it isn't mine, isn't something I can be proud of. One reason digital photos are seldom allowed in photo contests is because it IS so easy to manipulate them and therefore isn't a testiment to the photographers skill...or lack thereof!

So anytime you see one of my photos, whether it was a print that was scanned or from a digital camera, you can bet that what you see is what I saw.

You can get slave stobes and macro lens to go on the P1 to get round things you don't like 3&4. You can also get a weight that screws in the bottom to make it neutrally buoyant for grip 1.

Grip 2 is the one that still make me wary of digital cameras - it's not so much the shutter speed as the delay after you press the button. This makes digital cameras a bit of a nuisance for fast moving objects like fish. My camera DCS-85 has a burst mode where it takes 3 photos in a second which I use for action - be interesting to see how it copes with fish when my housing arrives....

Have fun
Jonathan

Originally posted by Jonathan
You can get slave stobes and macro lens to go on the P1 to get round things you don't like 3&4. You can also get a weight that screws in the bottom to make it neutrally buoyant for grip 1.

Grip 2 is the one that still make me wary of digital cameras - it's not so much the shutter speed as the delay after you press the button. This makes digital cameras a bit of a nuisance for fast moving objects like fish. My camera DCS-85 has a burst mode where it takes 3 photos in a second which I use for action - be interesting to see how it copes with fish when my housing arrives....

Have fun
Jonathan

I don't know about other digital cameras but the Oly C-4040 has a bracketing feature that takes either 3 or 5 photos for those fast moving ones. And for something really interesting, you can put it in video mode.

Wow, I wish I had known about the DCS-85 before I bought be P1. I would love to have that feature of being able to take several pictures in a second! That is my one complaint about digital cameras is how long it takes to respond once you click the button. Why do they do that?

Dee - The P1 will take short video clips too. That should be fun. Take's up lots of memory though. Didn't you have a Coolpix 880 with a housing? How did that do with pictures?

Jonathan - I was so confused when you were talking about grips, until I realized you meant gripes and were referring to Sue's concerns about the camera. LOL Where would I find a strobe and macro for the P1?

In my last trip to Yucatan I've flooded my P1. Be very careful with the O-ring. Mine was not well put and the camera was flooded. I've sent it to Sony but they couldn't fix it.

Now I'm thinking about what to buy - the new P5 (replacing P1) doesn't fit in my housing, so I would have to buy both.
Since I need to buy everything new, I am considering a camera with a housing that supports an external strobe (one of the problems of P1' housing) and which housing goes deeper than 30 meters.

Any of you have heard something about the Olympus C-4040 and it's PT-10 housing?

Sue

Oh Sue, that's awful. I'm so sorry. Hey do you have any P1 accessories you'll sell me cheap? LOL

Good luck finding a new camera.

Beth

In fact I do have two memory sticks (128 and 64) and a spare battery, but I have not excluded purchasing a Sony, so I will keep them.
One of the things that leads me into Sony again is the fact that I was now operating very well with that camera. I've got to know almost all features and I was already very familiar with all settings.
I really don't know what to do ...

Sue

Sue,

I know what you mean. It would cost y ou more to start over. You can buy a new o-ring for the housing if that one was bad (maybe it was just a matter of it being twisted). Then you already have the memory sticks and other accessories. It may be cheaper to go back with another P1 especially since you are used to it now. You can buy an external flash by the way. If you are interest I'll tell you where.

I bought by camera for $400 off of Ebay. It's practically brand new. Lots of them for sell there. Just a thought.

Good luck with your decision.

By the way, how long did your battery generally last while diving?

I've got the DSC-P5 and UW housing. I thought I'd clear up a few misconceptions; The P5 has a burst mode also. If you push the trigger partially down the lag time goes to almost zero. You can attach an external strobe, these camera do not have a TTL strobe so any slave strobe should work. I've seen many, many great pictures with just the internal strobe, so I'm not convinced about the necesisty of an external strobe. It would also defeat the major advantage, size, these guys are tiny and I tuck mine under my BCD strap when not in use. I still going up the learning curve and just took it underwater the first time yesterday. The camera is great, the operator needs work. Here's a trip report; Link

Originally posted by Sue
In my last trip to Yucatan I've flooded my P1. Be very careful with the O-ring. Mine was not well put and the camera was flooded. I've sent it to Sony but they couldn't fix it.

Now I'm thinking about what to buy - the new P5 (replacing P1) doesn't fit in my housing, so I would have to buy both.
Since I need to buy everything new, I am considering a camera with a housing that supports an external strobe (one of the problems of P1' housing) and which housing goes deeper than 30 meters.

Any of you have heard something about the Olympus C-4040 and it's PT-10 housing?

Sue

I've got an Oly C-4040 and PT-010 housing. Beth...yes, I do have a Nikon CP-880 but the only housing I could find for it was an Ikelite which was way more than I wanted to pay. When I started seeing pictures taken with the C-4040/PT-010 I was more and more convinced that was the way for me to go. Camera and housing was a little less than $1000. I sold my other camera system which more than covered it.

The 30m depth limit on the PT-010 was my only concern. I generally stay in the 30-50ft zone when taking pictures but there's a few times that during the dive I'll want to go deeper than 90ft. I decided that for $242 compared to $750, I'd make adjustments!

I'll be taking the Olympus setup out for the first time in Roatan the end of March. But so far, in the pool it has been fantastic! The S&S YS90-DX strobe was really not needed in that white pool! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom