Sony Camcorders ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trwmodela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am ready to purchase my first Sony camcorder. This past February I did a live-aboard in Belize. Several divers on the boat were shooting video. One was using a Sony DCR-HC42 MiniDV camcorder using an Ikelite housing. I have a copy of his edited video and the quality is excellent. The low light conditions underwater did not affect the outcome of the video. Basically, I was amazed how the camera handled low light. Since I was doing the same dives I knew the conditions. Now, the crew shot using a Sony HD camera in a high end electronic housing. This video was completely filmed and edited by the crew and was sold to the divers. Many times while diving I saw the crew member with the camcorder in action. The Sony HD video was POOR to say the least. The video was dark with poor color and not worth the cost.

So, I am thinking about purchasing a Sony DCR-HC96 MiniDV Handycam Camcorder. You can purchase this camera for around $600.00. Also, I am thinking about the Ikelite housing for around $700.00. The complete setup would cost me about $1,400.00 with shipping. This makes sense to me until HD improves as I did not want to carry lights and batteries for daytime filming.

Open to Suggestions........

:crafty:

Interesting although not entirely unexpected. Quality of video shot is dependent on the skill of the operator as well as the format.

Not to tout my experience (I have been filming for 6 years), but I've shot a lot of mini-DV video that puts some of the HD stuff to shame (other than the better resolution on HD). I'm heading out in an hour or so to test my first HD camcorder (a Sony HC-7) to see how well it stacks up against the Sony TRV-17 mini-DV I've been using the past few years.

I've heard that many of the HD camcorders do not perform well in low light conditions. Fortunately, much of my videotaping is close-up and well lit, so I generally expect good results. I will try to add a post on the results later today.

If you are filming for yourself and family or friends, mini-DV may be all you need. You can write DVD's to share with them. However if you plan to sell the footage in the future, HD is quickly becoming THE standard. Many of my clients pay much less for mini-DV even if it is of great quality since TV is going completely HD next year.

Personally, I would avoid any mini-DV cameras which use a DVD disk or hard drive for storage UNLESS they do not store in a compressed format (like MPEG-2, MPEG-4 or AVHCD). Use the mini-DV tape-based camcorders for what I feel is better quality original footage.

I've used a sony HC32, did pretty good, not great but good. Now I've moved on to HD big dif big big difference. I just got back from COZ what a difference HD makes. Now DR Bill is right if you feel like you are gooding to love filming than spend the money now if you plain on filming once in awhile then sony 42 or 96 should be fine........Good luck.....Mark I use a Sony A1u now with an EVO housing

The light difference between your camcorder and the HD model may be due to the number of chips as opposed to the format. Nearly all low-end models use a single chip and most have very good to excellent low light capability. The high end models use three chips (RGB) for superior color reproduction. They also required a prism or filters as a means of separating the light spectrum and do not have the same low lux capability as the single chip cameras.

Steve

I have only had the Soney DCR-TRV33, but I am sold on the quality. It is four years old and survived trips to Cayman Islands, Key West, Nassau, Disney World, high school football games, high school band shows, proms, bar mitzvahs, and teenage son use. It survived three housing leaks, one pretty bad, and been to 100 feet on several occassions. It just keeps on going.

I was told before I bought it by a videographer friend that Sony is the standard and I believe it. I hope to get the HC-3 or 5 and I hope it holds up as well.

Now that I have posted this, I have probably jinxed it.

Sony is the most popular camcorder brand for uw video because it has the most housing options.

Nothing wrong with buying a SD camcorder if this is your 1st time and/or this will only be a casual hobby.

It is WAY to long to type about....but if you have any problems importing and editing with the MPG2 format give a yell. I just went through that with the SR42.

drbill:
Personally, I would avoid any mini-DV cameras which use a DVD disk or hard drive for storage UNLESS they do not store in a compressed format (like MPEG-2, MPEG-4 or AVHCD). Use the mini-DV tape-based camcorders for what I feel is better quality original footage.
I own a Sony DCR-DVD403 (http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/sony/dvd403-review/index.shtml). It records directly to a mini DVD. I purchased it a couple years ago strictly to shoot video of my kids and now I am thinking of getting the Ikelite housing for it. I understand that a tape based recorder will give me higher quality. I am not looking to get really into UW video; just want to bring it along with me sometimes for fun. Topside I find the quality outstanding. I am pretty sure that it records in VOB format (I don't have the manual with me right now).

Can anyone comment how this one would perform in low light conditions underwater or the overall quality of video for underwater use?

Thanks
-Chris

charris400:
Can anyone comment how this one would perform in low light conditions underwater or the overall quality of video for underwater use?
Your camera has a 5 lux low light rating. So does Sony's best MiniDV model the HC96. The best single-chip HD camera, the HC7, has a claimed lux rating of 2. But that's using auto slow shutter to compensate. So basically if you've ever seen any low light footage shot with a MiniDV camera, yours should be comparable. I know several people who've housed a DVD based camera and they seem to get acceptable results. (I've not seen their work)

Since you've got it, I'd house it. If you buy a semi-generic housing (TopDawg, Ocean Images Dolphin Pro, others) you can always upgrade the camera later. Does your camera have a LANC port? It's necessary if you buy an electronic housing. Sony might call it a remote port.

btw, your camera does save .VOB files.

Whats a VOB file?

Back
Top Bottom