Sony A7III, A7RIII or A7RIV for underwater video & photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the A7iii in Sea and Sea housing and liked it. Traded the camera for the A7Riii. Both cameras fit in the same housing. I was happy with the iii but made the switch for extra resolution ( 42mp in the Riii) more solid construction, the price difference was only about$500 and I could use the same housing. I shoot macro with Sony’s 90 mm lens and am very happy with the results. I don’t shoot video. I don’t expect to change this setup anytime soon. That being said, if I were buying new, I would probably go for the A7Riv. The reviews sound great. Increased mp, improved ergonomics etc. AF might be improved, but I find the AF to be great on the earlier models, especially the iii. Possible concerns are price of the newest model versus great camera that’s been out for a few years, processing the very large files and price of the housing and ports, etc.

These are all great cameras. You can’t make a wrong decision on any of them.

I just got the sony 90 mm lens for my A7iii. I have not been able tryout it out yet but i was wondering what focus range you shoot in and if you had a suggestion for strobe postion getting started. Thank you

Frog fish shot with A7R3, 90 mm focus switch set to 0.5 m - 0.28m. Strobes low at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, adjusted as needed:
JH_04557.jpg

Back
Top Bottom