Sony A6300 Lense Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all the input, just bought the Sony 10-18mm f4 and i love it. I also tested the Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8 but the autofocus didnt't worked that well. I think i will get the 90mm f2.8 macro and then im ready to go!

cheers

I've just posted a first look review with some photos and comments on the Nauticam a6300 housing they are starting to arrive in the shops now.

The Sony 50mm macro lens is also a good choice and easier to use for those not accustomed to the power or the 90mm macro lens. It's also a lot less expensive.

See:
Nauticam Sony a6300 Underwater Housing: First Look Review

NAU-a6300-6196.jpg

NAU-a6300-6202.jpg

The Sony 50mm macro lens Jack has linked to is an A-mount lens which would require a Sony A-mount adapter that I don't think fits the Nauticam A6300 housing. This lens is not supported on the Nauticam lens chart. I think Jack may have meant the Sony/Zeiss Touit 50mm F/2.8 macro which is priced about the same as the Sony 90mm macro. The new housing looks great and the camera appears to be excellent.

Regarding diver2fun's question about the Rokinon 12mm, Rokinon has several 12mm lenses that are both Fisheye and rectilinear. Also some are for full frame and some for APS-C. I recently used the Rokinon 12mm FISHEYE for full frame on the Sony A7R II using an Ikelite housing with Ikelite eight inch dome. Since ALL of these Rokinon lenses are full manual you have several issues. First you need for the housing manufacture to make a gear that can be used to focus the lens and you need to use the focus peaking feature on the camera. Second since you will have no control over the aperture setting you need to preset your F/stop (I used F/9) and know how to control exposure using ISO and/or shutter speed. Third, since no housing manufacture has a port configuration for these lenses you will be guessing at the port size and extension length that will work best for the lens you chose. I would make far more sense to buy the Zeiss Touit 12mm which is auto focus and auto aperture now on sale for around $600.00 used, $700.00 new or go with the Sony 10-18mm F/4 as Olie301 did. Both of these lenses are support with proper port and extension choices and the Zeiss 12mm requires no gears.

*WWL-1 is also an ideal match for the Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS lens providing over 100 degree diagonal field of view with full zoom through! WWL-1 has a larger zoom range, better overall sharpness, and less purple fringing than any Sony wide angle lens we have tested behind a dome! (nauticam website)

I have the Sony E16-50 F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS lense. Just don't like to build such a expensive system with a 100 $ lense... Would be awesome if it would work with the Sony Vario-Tessar® T* E16-70 F4 ZA OSS (SEL1670Z) or Vario-Tessar® TFE16-35 F4 ZA OSS (SEL1635Z) but i cant find it in the port chart (with WWL-1 and CMC-1).

Just got back from a trip at Tubbataha, Philippines. Here are some sample photos taken using Sony a6300 w/ Sony E 16mm and fisheye converter, Nauticam housing, 2x YS-D1 strobes.

kelldita

27:
Just got back from a trip at Tubbataha, Philippines. Here are some sample photos taken using Sony a6300 w/ Sony E 16mm and fisheye converter, Nauticam housing, 2x YS-D1 strobes.

kelldita
Lovely pictures! Are you happy with the 16mm + fisheye converter?

Tested the 90 macro yesterday and the AF is very bad so I would need the focusgear from Nauticam. The gear is only supported with the N85-N100 65mm port adapter. For the 10-18f4 Nauticam recommend the N85-N120 60mm port adapter with 180mm N120 dome port.

Do you think that the 10-18 will work with the N85-N100 65mm port adapter and 180mm N100 dome port as well? The adapter would be 5mm longer then the recommended N85-N120 60mm.

Does the fact that there is no in body stabilization bother you or the choice in lenses you mentioned are stabilized?

I was really anticipating this camera for upgrade from my GoPro only to find out that there is no stabilization in body. I have enough shakey footage to really see the advantages of stabilization. But maybe I am too picky because by all accounts athat 1000 bucks the a6300 is a amazing camera. Looking forward to hearing how the white balance is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom