Something Special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmayer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've heard wonderful things about this site. It would be great to dive it. If I could only find it! :confused:

Where is the entry?

BSDME says to turn off at Kaya Playa Lechi, then turn right and park.

Is this the Kaya Playa Lechi that dead ends into a pedestrian walkway, or the one that is the scenic road along the waterfront?

From the pedestrian walkway, it looks like a pretty simple entry on a sandy beach.

Once I've found the entry, then where? Do I swim north to the marina? Into the marina? Across the marina to the Harbour Club area?

THANKS!

After you make the right there is another very sharp right (basically a driveway) that dead ends at a large residence. Park on the left in front of the gate. The entrance is via the sandy beach, short swim to reef and then it's your choice, north or south. For some reason we usually go north??

We have done this dive many times. We usually park on the side of the road next to the shore(next to an old catamaran on a trailer), gear up and enter at the sandy beach. we always go north toward the marina-in fact, we usually get to the marina entrance and then turn around and head back. At the marina entrance is one of the largest purple sea fans around-great picture opportunity. About halfway to the marina is the location for one of the underwater bonaire sea cameras. It is a wonderful dive and we always see something special there. We have seen frog fish, sea horses, ocean trigger fish, eagle rays and all of the other usual suspects. The exit is easy to find-you will start to see the mooring blocks as you approach the exit . It's fun to exit there as there are often small children and locals swimming and playing at the sandy beach-quite a surprise for them to see you emerge from the deep.
Vann Evans

You can also park on the blocked off street if the other parking places are taken, it is a short walk to the water from the dirt lot just east of the street next to the Yellow Wall. I have been both ways, but seem to like the north given a choice! I took this picture there:

820__MG_9063_Kathe_with_Drum_fish_Something_special_Bonaire_09.jpg

More pictures here

Phil..Something Special is the house dive site directly in front of the Bluewater Condominium Residence. There is absolutely NO NEED to cross the inlet to dive in front of Harbour Village. In fact when we stayed at H.V. we used to cross the inlet to dive S.S. since it's a much better site then what's in front of H.V.

Phil,

Make the right at Bistro di Paris, onto the road in town that follows the sea. Almost after making the right turn their will be, like you said, something that looks like a pedestrian walkway to the right. You can make a right turn and park anywhere there is availability. If you go to the end our friends our friends Erwin and Ellen have a house there!

Liz

OK, I think I found it today. I parked where everybody said.

On the first dive, I went out to the dropoff and followed it north.

On the second dive, I went north without going out to the dropoff. It was farther to the marina than I realized. It was pretty obvious when I got there. All the stories about the dredging debris, tires, etc are true. The rubble also makes wonderful habitat.

At the northern side of the marina area is a wall of rubble. Huge rubble. I followed that out to the end and a little north of the wall. It was COVERED with fish. Groups of fish -- angelfish, queen and french -- white spotted filefish, about 10 -- scrawled filefish, 5 -- scorpionfish, 6-8 -- trumpetfish and coronetfish, yellow, blue, and normal, 12-15 -- parrotfish by the dozens -- schools of tangs, grunts, jacks, baitfish............

No batfish, frogfish, squid, or seahorses though.

This was easily the best site I've dived here so far. I'll try it a few more times in daylight and night dive it as well.

Thanks for everyone's help!

There is a frog at 85ft last week! To the north! Glad you found it! :wink::wink::wink:

Back
Top Bottom