Something Different.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I have been noticing a change in the forums...a good change more non-charter divers. i think this is good. I have been toying with an idea of some um less passive dive adventures of the shore line kind. the type of dives im talking about aint for joe split fin... the key words here are "NON-PASSIVE DIVING" not that we are going out to do any harm. it means we are abit more willing to get to the tricky spots to explore new areas. just wondering out loud. if you been wondering the same thing or the thought interest you make it known here.

What's wrong with splits? I prefer my splits to my jets for shore diving with the long surface swims I often do. :D

The group of shore divers I dive with are always looking for new sites or alternatives to the routes everyone else takes with the usual sites. Google Maps and such make good resources for finding new reefs.

lol mean no disrespect but i just natrually equate split fins to causual divers i cant imagine fighting the diamondhead current in split fins. um hold the phone i think this is my 300th post. yeah im really bored with some of the dives here looking for some new stuff come spring.

North Shore Expeditions on Maui sounds like your kind of guys.

Never mind that the split fins (well, Apollos anyway) are faster and more efficient propulsion devices. I've got a pair of Blitz long fins and they're stunningly good for free diving, but on a dive boat or shore dive with equipment, they're not that much fun. On the surface, long fins are about as useful as a lung full of diesel exhaust. I like to switch 'em up because instead of the quick flutter kicks that make the splits shine, the long graceful power kicks are very refreshing.

Sorry for going OT, but the moment called for it.

NSE for some radical stuff, they're on the web.

again my bad on the split fin insult...i probly just dont know how to use them.. jet fin kind of diver. anyway lets get back on the subject.personally l have never dove on the other side of hanuumha bay (spell check) so that kind of enterest me any other suggestions? has anyone dove on that side of the island?

Its Hanauma Bay. I just took my wife to look at Lani lookout she would not do it because of the hike.

ok so much for my local girlfriends spelling. thanks anyway would love to do some dives on other side of H-bay see if we can get some info on the area?

Sorry for the re-hijack, but I love to make a wake surface swimming on my back with my Gara 2000's :) Towing landlubbers in surface current is one reason I wear them!

There is Portlock, Lanai Lookout, and Blowhole on that side of the island. All have some climbing on the rocks with the best 2 (my opinion here) being Lanai Lookout and Blowhole. There is also Makapu'u but I haven't dove there, have heard the currents rip through there by the point and it is a decent enough dive. There is also Makai Pier but that is by no means a challenge at all tad bit more challenging than the lagoon at Magic Island.
I dove Lanai Lookout and Blowhole this past weekend, all great dives except for the pickup dive where I had to bring back in some tourists. The entrance to the inlet cockroach beach at Blowhole can get rough and you gotta kick and swim hard to get through the surf. But if you have split fins no worries you get through it no problem!
Best time to dive this side of the island is when there is no south swell and there is Kona winds.
If you want to dive just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom