Something different at Joe's!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roadkils

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This morning I was at Joe’s with a student. We were out doing the snorkeling dive around the island when we came across a large school of cats. We hung out for a while and more and more cats came around. At one point there was at least a school of 50-60 swimming around us. They were swimming right up to our masks, between our legs and were not skittish or afraid of us at all. I never realized there were so many large catfish at Joe’s. I have hundreds of dives at that quarry and usually you only see 3-5 at a time. We finished up our snorkel dive, geared up for another dive and grabbed some food to feed them. Once we started feeding them they were joined by a bunch of Bass and Blue Gill.

It was a nice change to the normal Joe’s dives and kind of exciting for my student.

I was supposed to go out tomorrow morning but will have to reschedule for next week. If anyone wants to join us, we’ll probably be out there next Wednesday or Friday. Let me know.

Dwight

Hang around FRP till around sun set and watch all the cats come out. I don't know that we have counted 50-60 but I know that we have count at least 30 at one time.

Hang around FRP till around sun set and watch all the cats come out. I don't know that we have counted 50-60 but I know that we have count at least 30 at one time.

Oh yeah, feeding time!!!
Usually when you are on scuba, they scatter pretty fast unlike those damn blue gill.

Dwight

Back
Top Bottom