Something better than a GoPro3:BE....4000$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheTrickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Been a bit bored today...oops...

So been looking at upgrades from the GoPros (I have a 2) to something a little more 'prosumer' with MWB etc

I think my main issue is stability, even with a tray and float arms, the GoPros are quite easy to shake under water causing blur/movement.

So I started looking at dedicated camcorders and heavier housings (like the Canon HF-XA10 and Gates housing)

I have an E-PL3, but I think this doesn't do video as well as a GoPro (which is surprising due to the sensor size) and suffers from the Jello effect...

Anybody recommend a camera that can do high quality 1080p30, with low light etc etc?

Rich

Bigger heavier housings are easier to stabilize for sure. You won't get as much shake. Remembering to freeze/lock your elbows helps.

I switched from a mid-sized camcorder and housing to GoPro last year for the travel hassle issues. If you don't have that issue... needing 1 whole bag just for housing, going through customs and airline nightmare, then definitely go for it. I can say that my old footage is much better (with the better camcorder) than my GoPro HOWEVER for me, the small size, easy travel with it makes up for it.

I'm currently working on a DIY tray for my GoPro 3. What robint says about size and travel is a good point. I will be traveling with my camera and would like to keep the setup small and light. The tray i'm building is very compact and light (PVC). I was using a monopole but it is VERY unstable when filming so I wanted to try out filming with a two handed tray. I will probably buy an SRP tray in the near future but for now I wanted to keep in cheap and simple.
I'll post a pic of it when it's done within the next couple days. I hope to try it out in the water this weekend.

You could add mass to your existing tray and floats to compensate.

My rig weighs 10lbs in the air but is almost perfectly balanced at depth.

It's funny looking, I admit, but fairly stable and easy to handle---even with one hand:

You could add mass to your existing tray and floats to compensate.

My rig weighs 10lbs in the air but is almost perfectly balanced at depth.

It's funny looking, I admit, but fairly stable and easy to handle---even with one hand:

Are those the DIY light diffusers you made? If so how are they working out?

Yes---the holographic diffusers are working fine. I have to double check the aim to get uniform light coverage, but have gobs of light.

What's the conclusion on Optically Stabilised Lenses underwater for video?

Thinking a m43 camera and a OIS enabled lens? Either a Olympus or Panasonic body with a Panasonic OIS lens...

Regards

Rich.

The under water mid level and prosumer video camcorder offerings have slowly been disappearing due to increased video capability on cameras.

I have not done any research on the latest m43 cameras, but I did see some UW video from a Panasonic GH3 in a Nauticam housing that was impressive.

No disrepect, but with a $4000 budget, the GoPro should not be a consideration. You can add all the lights and trays you want, the GoPro cannot compare to the latest compact cameras, m43 and DSLR's.

Thanks Ron,

Yeah been looking at the GH3. Looks like a winner - low noise and high bitrates.

Plus I can use my current m43 lenses too.

The Black magic camera looks great as well from my research, but the housing is large and steep!

From what I've read the new LX7 shares similar video performance to the GH3 So will be interesting to see how it compares.

Yes. I'm shocked a little how well these mirror less cameras are competing with the traditional camcorders. I was fully expecting the current AX20 to be miles ahead of the DSLRs, but it appears not.

Regards

Rich.

If you already have some good m43 lenses, then it's just a matter of selecting which m43 camera. I highly recommend looking at Nauticam housings and which cameras they work with.

I only have a few dives with my LX7 so I still have to experiment with the various settings. It shoots good video topside so I know it will do well UW once I get things right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom