Some Training Schools For Going Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cipio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I’m a newly certified PADI Rescue Diver and I’m looking into going pro and becoming an OWSI so I’ve started researching some training programs and in the process I’ve put together some info to help me choose which program I want to do and also to give me an idea of the cost and other things involved. Maybe this can help anyone else interested in becoming an OWSI. This was just directed for my goal of starting a career as an Instructor from a rescue diver certification. The prices listed are completely approximate and be sure to follow school links to get appropriate pricing and info for your situation. Hope this helps someone and if anyone’s attended any of these programs I would love some feedback on them as I’m still in the process of choosing one thanks. One more thing if any employers view this and are looking for anyone coming out of these programs please let me know :)

Attachments

• Dive Schools and Comparison Chart1.doc
    164.5 KB · Views: 364
Hi Cipio,

Welcome to the board.

Your chart leads me to believe you've rejected the option of going to one of the IDCs in Virginia. While Florida is nice, there are some advantages of training closer to home. These could include:
- saving money on travel, room and board
- gaining experience in your local dive environment
- the option to gain one credential then practicing it for awhile before going on to the next
- meeting local contacts who could help with your apparent goal of employment

Best wishes,

k

Thanks for the welcome Knotical.

Ive thought about that option but I don't plan on staying in virginia. I would like to make it down to Fl. maybe Ft. Lauderdale area but anywhere I can find employment and have the chance to dive and further my training is fine by me. :)

Thanks for the information Cipio, I had a similar sheet in excel format but deleted it by accident. Your's is very helpful in making my decision.

I think you need to look at this differently. First separate the DM class from the IDC. You may end up doing them back to back, maybe even in the same place, but they are very different.

Disclosure.... I did my IDC and staffed an IDC at EASE, others elsewhere. Im now an MI, have worked fulltime for about 7 years, and trained hundreds of DMs.

Your DM class is the most important one youll ever take. There are two ways of teaching it, the internship or practical training exercises, which are simulations. The internship takes 6 to 8 weeks. You will work with real customers, in a real shop, with instructors and captains and staff who do it every day. You will fill tanks, carry tanks, learn to tie up boats, load boats, change orings, deal with problem customers, broken equipment, safety issues, scheduling, and a million other things. And study your ass off. You will dive almost every day, 6 days a week. working with pros. You will learn all the REAL skills that are expected of dive instructors, that are not in any book.

OR
you can cram all this into 1 week, no real customers, no real diving, no real classes to help with, just a few simulated situations, using other dive pros as actors. This is the method used by 'instructor factories'.

By the way, this is where the info that you get tested on at the IDC comes from. You will NOT learn or even really review it there.

Now who do think is better prepared to get a job? You are pretty useless if you cant even fill a tank.

All that being said, you are better off going to the carribean for your DM, and take 3 months. You can get your IDC there too, no prob. Make sure that you go with a busy shop, so you can help with a lot of classes and dives. Also choose your instructor carefully, and insist on him/her as your mentor. A good shop will have you work with multiple instructors, but 1 will be your mentor. Look at Honduras, Mexico, Belice, cozumel, it might be cheaper than going to florida, a lot more fun, and youll meet a lot more people while getting real experience and contacts.

The IDC just prepares you for the IE, you will not (hopefully) learn ANYTHING new about diving. BUT YOU WILL BE TESTED ON EVERYTHING! You will have learned this all prior to taking the IDC. All you will learn is the teaching side, presentations, grading, paperwork, etc... This being the case, the best place for your IDC is whatever is most convenient, easiest or cheapest, this not as an important a choice as the DM classes. Here, instructor factories are great (EASE was great, also all the others Ive staffed), they have it down to a system. Prep classes are not necessary if you know the material from your DM class.

Job placement is pretty much a joke, and now Im in the industry, I see it just doesnt really work that way. There may be exceptions, but I wouldnt weigh this too heavily when making a choice.

If you need more info, just message me.

Back
Top Bottom