Some questions about Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phevo

New
Reaction score
Hey Guys !

I`m intending to go the phillipines in mid june for a couple of weeks to do some scuba diving and maybe some snorkelling.

Currently I dont hold any diving certificate, I started a cmas course 10 years back but never completed it. I have however been snorkelling since forever.

I would like to get a Paddi OW certificate and a Paddi advanced OW aswell if possible.

I was wondering if you could give me some advice as to where to go, from what I have heard and read Puerto Galera seems like a good option.

As of now I know how to get to Puerto Galera from Manila.

However I only have a vague idea of how the scuba scene works there, do you usually buy a package including various dives, courses and accomodation?

It would be sweet if anyone had any recommendations or advice regarding where to go.

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

It would be helpful to know where you are coming from, how long you intend to stay, what your budget is, what you like in accomadations like larger structured type or smaller mom & pop resorts. Same thing with dive ops, they range from smaller places to larger places like asia diver & atlantis.
Language issues, most resort will speak from Chinese, Korean, German, English, Filipino.
Do you want AI or are you the kind that is more adventure type to eat at different places. Want quite or in town, on the beach or a bit away.
Let us know here and many will chime in to help out and offer up there favorites places.
Oh and welcome to Scubaboard, lots of excellent information here to be found.

....However I only have a vague idea of how the scuba scene works there(PG), do you usually buy a package including various dives, courses and accomodation? ....
You are the boss.
Small dive operators do not provide accommodation themselves but they have their contact. Just let them know what is your requirement.
There are at least 33+ dive operators from Sabang to Big La Laguna. And few of them are geared mainly for Korean. How to choose them? I prefer small operators eg. Frontier, Sea Rider and South Sea just to name a few.
Most of the time the instructor to student ratio is 1:1.

I had a GREAT time at Atlantis in PG this fall.

Contact them and they can arrange for a fully-inclusive trip, including your course, your diving, your food, your lodging and your transportation to and from Manilla.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I have been backpacking in New zealand the past 4 months and intend to go through the Phillipines on my way up to scandinavia.

I'd like to stay for around 12-15 days in the phillipines and prefer smaller scubafirms.
I like staying in hostels as long as it's not too sketchy.
Ideally lodging situated just out of town would be perfect, having the choice of going in to town and still being able to sleep at night.
Budget wise I'm not interrested in paying for big resorts or luxury as I prefer the backpacking way of travel.
Oh yea and I speak English, French, Danish and minimal German.

Thanks again for all the feedback I really appreciate it

There was a thread by someone(Canadian?) not too long ago on diving with South Sea Diver. The boss(Sky) found him a room for P500.00 per night.
I was told there is a kind of dormitory style accommodation available in Sinadigan. But I cannot confirm this.

500 pesos a night or about $12 US. Check out Tina's place on the far side of Sabang. They also serve simple fillipino food, cheap.
Very simple style lodging clean.
Lots of smaller places, but personally I like over in small lalaguna. It is a short walk to town and any of the dive ops, but much more quite.
I use Mark at Searider myself. He has a good reputation, small shop, rinse tanks, shower, storage, racks, bathroom, and a fast speedboat, although most dive site are about 10 minutes away from the shop, and his prices are very good. He will go out even if you are the only one diving. They have rental gears as well.
Also, mark can arrange for accomadations for you in any price range, pick you up at the ferry dock and take you back when it is time to leave. I believe there are a few lodgings on either side of his shop starting at $20 US/night.
I stay at the banana moon, but it is more expensive at $38 night, discounts for longer stays, but they are next to a decent restaurant, has fantastic view from the balcony, hot water, AC, refrig, kitchen, cable, and wifi.
Also, action divers is right next to searider another nice dive op. You could walk over to big lalaguna and check out campbell resort or Laguna beach club. Cheap lodgings can be found in big lalaguna at Cataquis, plus I love that little restaurant on the beach next to Cataquis. Here's a tip for you, check out the lonely planet guide for PI. Ok, more later.

Have dived with Searider for the last two trips... Highly recommended... Local business... Local guides.. Equals good diving experience. have also used South Sea and found them to be very good also. many of the dive shops cater solely for Korean guests.. I don't think a non-Korean would have a good experience. There is plenty of accommodation to Cater for all budgets. Diving and accommodation at Atlantis is relatively expensive.

Hi Phevo.

This is from South Sea Divers located in Sabang beach and one of the many dive shop in Puerto Galera.
I was pleased to see that my shop has been mentioned in some of your reply's, we have been in the dive business since the early 80's and we have certified hundreds of divers. We would be pleased if you were to chose S.S.D. as your dive shop for your open water course. If you have any questions please contact me at dive@southseadivers.com Sky........instructor and shop owner

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom