some questions about AI vs wrist-mounted computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s.s.seafan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a computer. I read the sticky post, and it states -

"Air integrated or not? Many dive computers have air integrate (“AI”) pressure gauges, so that they can monitor your air and predict your remaining “air time” based on rate of consumption and depth, as well as your remaining no decompression limit. The advantage of this is that the computer can monitor and warn you as to your maximum dive time, both due to remaining air and remaining NDL. However, others suggest this ingrains bad habits - relying upon your computer rather than learning to check your remaining air regularly.

If the computer is not a console computer (ie. it is either wrist mounted or HUD), then to be air integrated the air pressure must be transmitted by a wireless transmitter. Whilst this is a neat gadget, they do have a reputation for being flaky, and so normally divers will carry a separate conventional SPG as well."

so the only difference between AI and wrist-mounted (not considering wireless) is AI also measures air consumption amount and rate? If the best practice is to check SPG regularly for remaining air, there is really no advantage of using AI computer?

thanks.

-Jason

Like many things, there is a strong element of personal preference.

AI computers will give you a calculation of air time remaining. If you have safety or deco stops, or are breathing more or less rapidly, it will "do the math" for you in calculating the gas time you have available at depth while still allowing enough gas to reach the surface safely with a reserve- some people think this is a bad idea and creates complacency, others (like me) see it as another data point to be considered. It can sometimes function as a reality check in telling you when it's time to come up. It would be a bad idea to look only at time remaining and not look at your pressure.

Some are suspicious of electronic gauges- though they are highly reliable. Depending on your diving environment and style, an backup gauge may be a very prudent idea, and can keep you diving if a computer fails.

Many of us like having one screen to look at, as opposed to say, a non integrated wrist computer and separate SPG.

More advanced AI computers, like the Cobalt, can calculate your actual SCF gas consumption, which can be useful for planning dives.

Well this will turn into yet another 37 page post about "Air Integrated or not" which will at some point morph into "Console or Wrist Mount" and will eventually get to "You're going to die if...."

Ever seen that movie "Groundhog Day?"

"Air integrated" simply means that the gauge, whether attached to your HP hose or on your wrist, has a means of measuring your pressure and reporting it to you. Depending on the software, the gauge may also compute "remaining air time" (which can be misleading, because it's remaining time at THAT depth and with THAT gas consumption) and may allow you to download your air consumption information into a computerized dive log.

If the gauge is attached to the HP hose, it is in effect your SPG. If it is on your wrist, it measures pressure via a transmitter. Transmitters can have a number of problems, including having the batteries die without warning, and not synching when asked, so a lot of people using wrist AI computers also use a backup gauge attached to one of the HP ports. (This, of course, requires a first stage with two HP ports.)

Wrist gauges with transmitters are substantially more expensive than AI computers which are hose-mounted, or than wrist gauges which are not air-integrated. Quite a few hose-mounted AI computers are more expensive than non-AI wrist units, too. It is a personal decision as to whether the additional expense is something that seems worthwhile to you or not.

.... If the best practice is to check SPG regularly for remaining air, there is really no advantage of using AI computer?....
yes .... but, another advantage of AI computers (console and/or wireless) is that the digital reading of the tank pressure is actually more accurate; basically you get a nice digital readout ... something like 1,723PSI ... instead of the needle "somewhere" between 1,500 and 2,000.

Of course the importance of this is all subjective :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

As I understand it, the context of your post is that you've narrowed down the choice of computer you're looking to buy to: (a) AI hose-mounted, and (b) non-AI wrist-mounted. If so, you might also consider whether, for option (b), you're more interested in a compact wristwatch-style or a puck/large style. This affected my decision in buying a computer. I liked the idea of a wristwatch-style that I didn't have to take off and put somewhere safe when I left my gear unattended for a whle. It's easy for someone to pilfer a small computer left lying around. My wife has a hose-mounted computer, and she doesn't feel comfortable unless she's removed it from the hose (with a quick-release connection) and taken it with her when we go to lunch or whatever, leaving our stuff on the dock. With a wristwatch style, I always know where it is--on my wrist--and I can easily play with the log feature while I'm sitting at the bar in the evening and think about the dives I did that day.

Just some extra food for thought.

There is another important advantage to AI, not related to the computations of remaining air time. The AI computers display the tank pressure in the same display as your depth and no dec times. Since you frequently glance at the depth display, you're much less likely to neglect to check your gas supply.

Adam

yes .... but, another advantage of AI computers (console and/or wireless) is that the digital reading of the tank pressure is actually more accurate; basically you get a nice digital readout ... something like 1,723PSI ... instead of the needle "somewhere" between 1,500 and 2,000.Of course the importance of this is all subjective :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Perhaps you need a prescription dive mask. :crafty:

yes .... but, another advantage of AI computers (console and/or wireless) is that the digital reading of the tank pressure is actually more accurate; basically you get a nice digital readout ... something like 1,723PSI ... instead of the needle "somewhere" between 1,500 and 2,000.

If I'm parsing gas to the fourth significant figure, I'm in BIG trouble. Heck, if I'm doing it to the THIRD significant figure, I'm in trouble!

If you strictly do recreational dive, knowing air-time remaining can be a very nice feature. Everything is at a glance, and if you follow your computer's guidance, you will probably never be in OOA situation. One issue with this feature is it only calculate time remaining for yourself. Where I am trained, we need to have enough reserved air for 2 divers to come back to surface, so this air-time remaining isn't useful for me at all.

As for now, my computer has AI feature. The AI serve me 2 purpose 1)backup SPG 2)SCR monitoring. Two features I can live without, but nice to have. My recommendation to OP is to get brass SPG mounted to HP hose no matter what computer you end up getting. And for computer, go for a wrist mount unit. If you can afford it, getting AI is nice. If not, go with on without AI.

Back
Top Bottom