Some pointers on Vancouver Island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear fellow divers
Thank you for all the pointers. Everything you have told me is very very useful.
I am leaning towards staying in Nanaimo, but I will definitely drive to Victoria and make sure we dive the major sites in the area. I am also happy to hear any other suggestions.
My feeling is that Vancouver Island is a place to visit several times to be able to dive it properly, but I got start sometime.
Thanks again
Dave

Unfortunately on Vancouver Island the best diving is usually the hardest from a logistics standpoint. The best diving I have experienced, bar none, has been on the west coast of the island. Next I would list Port Hardy then Campbell River/Quadra Island.

From a wreck diving perspective I would say Barkley Sound is the best – for natural wrecks. There are a lot of shipwrecks in Barkley Sound; the Vanlene; the HMCS Thiepval; the Tuscan Prince; the Orpheus; the Ericsson; etc. etc. Courtney/Comox is great for deeper wrecks 100’-200’. Victoria is good too. And Nanaimo has the artificial reefs which are massive, intact, ships.

Honestly though, the diving is pretty amazing all the way around the island. I would second the idea of basing yourself in Nanaimo for a first trip. But, I would try and get up for a drift dive in Campbell River/Quadra Island too.

Further south is Barkley Sound, and Rendezvous Lodge. You get to this place by driving to Port Alberni, then the lodge boat comes and picks you up ... it's a couple hours down through the Sound to the lodge, which is perched on a bit of rock on the side of a cliff. Diving there is mostly pinnacles, with some walls and one outstanding (real) wreck called the Vanlene. If you're going that far, plan to stay a few days.

Another way to visit Barkley Sound is from the village of Bamfield. It is a 1.5 hour drive on a mainline logging road from Port Alberni. There is a small charter operator there called Broken Island Adventures Broken Island Adventures Ltd.. I think diving Barkley Sound from Bamfield is great because you are free to visit the village and beaches when on shore. But, I am biased. I fell in love with the diving in the sound and have spent the last few years building a cabin, and diving, in Bamfield.

Loads of great info here already, but I thought I'd ask what your skill level is (and your buddy), and what type of diving you prefer, if there is a preference? Wrecks, walls, drift (extreme drfit!?), etc. Do you like to include other activities, like whale watching, kayaking, hiking, biking, fishing, etc?

Like the others said, there is great diving all along the coast, but generally the further north on Vancouver Island you go, the better the diving. That doesn't mean south isn't good by any means - there's award winning diving wherever you go.

Have a great trip and dive safe.

I dove Campbell river/Quadra Island for a week and then took a pvt. live aboard up to Port Hardy doing drift and scooter dives. Some of the most incredible diving I've ever done and would love to go back!

Thanks for the continuous flow of advise.
Cooldives, very good questions: We are both competent/active divers. We dive dry suit locally in the Great Lakes and in Canada (mostly Ontario). We have also done drift diving and wreck diving, so we are definitely up for that. We are also Ok with moving from fresh water to ocean and have learned to adjust accordingly. We dive as often as we can and spend too much money staying active :) !

I do think that no matter how experienced one is, it is always best to assume a beginner to intermediate level whenever diving in a completely new location, and of course rely on the feedback from local divers. I think this is particularly relevant for some of the extreme drift diving you guys have up there :).

We are mostly going for the diving but it would be nice to have other activities in the area just in case.

Thanks,
Dave

If you do happen to get near Courtenay/Campbell River, give me a shout. I would happy to arrange some kick ass diving! Even get you on a charter with the "locals" rate.:D

Dive safe,
U/O

Hi I have 2 books by betty pratt johnson on different dive sites along the bc coast. book 1- is 141 dives and book 2 - is 99 dives. both are very good and it might help yourself make the decision on where to dive. I would like $20usd for both books plus shipping. But i would do naniamo and go to campbell river are as campbell river rivals the best cold water diving in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom