Some pointers on Vancouver Island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danteswim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is the second time I am attempting this trip. Last year ended going to Tobermory, which was awesome like all the diving I have experienced in Canada.

Here is the thing, my dive buddy and I (Ohio divers) are planning on spending a week diving Vancouver Island. Most likely the first week of July. I have been doing reading online on dive shops and dive sites. We will be renting a car in Vancouver and driving to the Island. I would really appreciate any suggestions on where to stay. e.g. is better to stay in Victoria or Nanaimo? anything light on anything or even a good operator that run dives during the week, anything at this point helps.

Thanks,
Dave

Well I know a great little town with access to the east and west coast of the island... ant there is a great dive shop there... All of the shops I know of on the island are great... here’s a link to a dive shops website I think you should look in to, and they will help you find affordable accommodations too...

Vancouver Island Dive School - Scuba Diving Training and Certification

hope this helps.. :)

and let me know when you get here.. id love to take you guys diving...

I believe Port Hardy is considered to be the best diving off Vancouver Island but is relatively remote - a resort I've heard of is "god's pocket". After that, I've heard that Ogden point and Race Rocks off Victoria are good. Victoria's advantage, being a city, is that there are plenty of other things to do while you are not diving - i.e. restaurants/hotels/bars/etc. I've been to victoria and prefer it over Nanaimo.

This is the victoria operation I heard of that does shore/boat diving:
Ogden Point Dive Center,Vancouver Island's premier dive center located in Victoria

If you only go to one location I would go to Nanaimo, for the wrecks. But make sure you reserve your spots on the boat early. Go with Diver Choices Charter in Nanaimo Ken is the best. Also it only takes 1.5 hrs to drive to Victoria to do some diving around down here, lots of shore dive in Victoria plus if you want to dive Race Rock check with Erin at Ogden dive shop.

Cheers

Al

This is the second time I am attempting this trip. Last year ended going to Tobermory, which was awesome like all the diving I have experienced in Canada.

Here is the thing, my dive buddy and I (Ohio divers) are planning on spending a week diving Vancouver Island. Most likely the first week of July. I have been doing reading online on dive shops and dive sites. We will be renting a car in Vancouver and driving to the Island. I would really appreciate any suggestions on where to stay. e.g. is better to stay in Victoria or Nanaimo? anything light on anything or even a good operator that run dives during the week, anything at this point helps.

Thanks,
Dave
For the best diving book with John Deboek at .:: Vancouver Island Dive.com ::. his place is close to all the best dive sites in the Port Hardy area.

I think the best base of operations would be Victoria due to access to the most shops and the most accessible diving. There are lots of great, well known shore dive spots that cost you no money other than gas in your rental car. There are good charter operations, too, on the south island, for wrecks, sea lions, walls, etc. And if you want to head to Nanaimo for more great charters it's a relatively short dive.

Victoria is more touristy (and $$$) for apres-dive, but OTOH there is more to do.

Disclaimer: I don't work for any shop but I am incredibly biased as I live and dive Victoria year round and I am not a fan of ~$100 for 2 boat dives if I can help it.

Peace,
VI

Where to start ... Vancouver Island is HUGE ... it takes about six hours to drive it south to north. Cutting across from the east coast at Parksville (about a third of the way up the island) and going across to the west coast at Tofino can take you another three and a half hours. There's good to excellent to downright mind-boggling diving all over the island.

Starting in the south ... Victoria is the biggest city on the island. There's some good shore dives, some artificial reef wrecks that are accessible by boat, a couple real wrecks, a HUGE breakwater that you can dive from shore, and an outstanding reef called Race Rocks. Hotels and restaurants ini the Victoria/Sidney area (Sidney's where the ferry comes in just up the coast) range from world-class to economy-class ... and there's lots of them. Ogdon Point Dive Centre is located on the breakwater, and offers full service as well as regular week-end charters to both the wrecks and to Race Rocks. I highly recommend them.

Nanaimo is probably the most well-known and easily accessible dive destination. Popular dive sites include the two ships located just off of Snake Island (Cape Breton and Sasketchewan). A third, smaller wreck (Rivtow Lion) is located just outside the harbor. Snake Island Wall is an outstanding deep dive. Jesse Island offers some real interesting topography, with swim-throughs and giant dendronotid nudibranchs in abundance. Clarke Rocks is only interesting if you've never seen wolf eels. Dodd's Narrows is probably the best dive out there, if you are lucky enough to be there at a time when the tide allow you to dive it. All of those are boat dives ... I highly recommend Diver's Choice charters. As for places to stay, my choice is the Buccaneer, which is right by the marina. It caters to divers. It's also right across from one of my favorite pubs ... Muddy Waters.

Couple hours north of there is Hornby Island. It's mostly known for sea lion and six-gill shark dives. Rob and Amanda run a diver's resort out on the island that is a fantastic place to stay and an interesting place to dive.

An hour or so north of there is Campbell River ... and a short ferry ride brings you across Discovery Passage to Quadra Island. Diving there is mostly walls, although there is another artificial reef located in Discovery Passage (Columbia) that is a real interesting dive. But the walls are amazingly loaded with life. These are mostly drift dives, as the current rips through this area ... which is where all the life comes from. There's two diving operations on the island. I'm not particularly fond of either one of them, frankly ... but it's what you get when you dive there ... and the diving's way worthwhile.

Couple hours north of there and you're finally reaching the far end of nowhere ... Port Hardy ... the apex cold water diving in all of Canada, if not the world. About an hour by boat from Port Hardy will bring you into Browning Pass ... at the south end of the Queen Charlotte Islands. The walls there are OH-MY-GOD amazing ... between the layers of life and the chronically good vis there's simply nothing on the island like it. It's a long ways away, it's expensive, and it's soooo worth it. The two "resorts" out there are God's Pocket and Browning Pass Hideaway. I've only stayed at the Hideaway ... and a few weeks back I posted a trip report right in this forum about my latest stay there.

Moving down the west coast, you've got Nootka Sound ... and Tahsis Charters. I haven't been there, but my friends who have rave about the place. It's one of the few places on the island where you can find red gorgonian sea fans.

A bit further down the coast is Tofino. I've been there, but not diving. Topside is drop-dead beautiful, and if you're going in summer, the campgrounds out there are wonderful places to stay. I've been told by a friend who took his boat out there that there's a dive shop in town, and that dive charters are available ... but can't verify that. He did say there's walls out there that rival Browning Pass.

Further south is Barkley Sound, and Rendezvous Lodge. You get to this place by driving to Port Alberni, then the lodge boat comes and picks you up ... it's a couple hours down through the Sound to the lodge, which is perched on a bit of rock on the side of a cliff. Diving there is mostly pinnacles, with some walls and one outstanding (real) wreck called the Vanlene. If you're going that far, plan to stay a few days.

You could spend an entire summer touring Vancouver Island ... just visiting the places I mentioned. All of them are worthwhile, some are simply outstanding, and the variety of diving from one place to the other is amazing considering you're doing it all from one (pretty dang big) island.

Pick your poison ... do some research ... ask more detailed questions ... or just plan to stay a coupla months and do 'em all. I gotta envy the folks who live out there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The two "resorts" out there are God's Pocket and Browning Pass Hideaway.

Also the liveaboard "Mamro" operates out of Port Hardy in the spring and fall (which is where I will be next week).

Also the liveaboard "Mamro" operates out of Port Hardy in the spring and fall (which is where I will be next week).

Hope you get better weather than we did, Brian ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom