some pictures from Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From your description of the location of the site I think we are talking about the same one (a small seamount in Loh Dasami bay also called horseshoe bay, between Rinca and Nusa Kode island)

I was told during the briefing that the name Cannibal Rock came from one Komodo dragon eating another one on the beach close to the site...

Anyway I guess we both agree it is an amazing site :)

Also if you are interested, pls see below the URL to a description of various Komodo dive sites

http://www.divekomodo.com/divesites.html

Cheers

Thanks for the correction, I will update my log book and my picture file.
It definitely was a great site but diving in 3mm wetsuit/hood in 21C water was a bit too much. I think I will need to get back there when it is warmer or get thicker suit.

Awesome pics. Looks like a great place to dive but a little out of the way. How long have you been photographing underwater and what does a setup like that cost (ballpark)?

NJDevilsfan once bubbled...
Awesome pics. Looks like a great place to dive but a little out of the way. How long have you been photographing underwater and what does a setup like that cost (ballpark)?

thanks for the compliment.
I use the Olympus C4040Z with Ikelite housing. The pictures were taken without an external strobe. The set up was about $900 when I bought them. I bought the camera last November and have about 80 dives so far with the camera.

Komodo is a bit remote but not too difficult to get to but well worth it as coral reef is well intact, lots of dive site with not a lot of divers around. When I was there, there were 3 other dive boats but beside mooring nearby for the night one night, I did not see any other boats at all.

ssra30 - Forgot to say that you pictures are very nice !
By the way which operator did you with ? Did you have a chance to dive Langkoi and its mantas ?
Sorry to hear you had such cold water - we got 24-25 degrees water when we were in South Komodo

Great pics....I hope to return with ones to share that are just as good or atleast close to from Belize....Be back in 2 1/2 weeks....

frogfish once bubbled...
ssra30 - Forgot to say that you pictures are very nice !
By the way which operator did you with ? Did you have a chance to dive Langkoi and its mantas ?
Sorry to hear you had such cold water - we got 24-25 degrees water when we were in South Komodo

I went with Grand Komodo, I think their website is www.komodoalordive.com . Excellent operators, in my opinion.
I did see mantas at Batu Toko-Toko and Tatawar Bezar. In fact, one of them pooped on me as it swam by :confused:

ssra30, those are some wonderful pics!! I don't think that I'll be doing anything like that for a while but I do look forward to seeing more of your underwater pics!! Those shots are fantastic!!

:wink:

Just wante to add my appreciation of your pictures.

Back
Top Bottom