some pictures from Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
Well, I just got back frrom my trip to Komodo Island National Park in Indonesia. I spent 6 days diving there and it was a lot of fun. current was quite strong at time especially on our first dive. I think I banged my strobe against the rock quite a few times during the first dive and flooded my strobe ;-0 . Anyhow, so the pictures were just taken with my Oly C4040 in Ikelite housing, using either internal flash or just flashlight.

fb718335.jpg

fb718321.jpg

fb718315.jpg

But where is the dragon. On a serious note, what IS the last picture?

Hope it is obvious which is which :)

fb7182eb.jpg

Otter, ssra30 was lucky (now where's that green jealousy smiley when I need it) enough to see and photograph what looks to me like a Pygmy Seahorse (Hippocampus bargibanti). They're about 1 cm tall.
Nice pics ssra30 - what a pity about the strobe (I feel your pain). Was it a DS125?

Beautiful shots!.......excellent exposures

Looks like a dream trip to me........one of these days!

Karl

Otter, which last pic do you refer to? From the frist 3 shots, the last is the whip coral crab (or so I am told, not sure about it myself), the last one of the 2nd batch as ReyeR said, is pygmy seahorse. The darn thing is tiny. It is nice to have a dive guide who is familair with the site since he knew exactly which seafan to look for the seahorse. The picture was taken at Galli's Rock and the current was quite strong. The dive guide said that there used to be 7 seahorses there. On our first dive when I flooded my strobe (yes, it was a DS125), I saw 3. On our last dive 6 days later (when I took the picture), I only saw one on the exact same seafan. Here is another one, yellow pgymy seahorses at Carnival Rock, South Rinca.

fb715032.jpg

frogfish once bubbled...
ssra30, Did you mean Cannibal Rock ?

Was it Canibal Rock? I thought the diveguide said Carnival Rock. In my log book, I had it as Carnival Rock, South Nusa Kode, South Rinca. May be I got the name wrong.

I assume that the pygmy seahorses did not eat each other but rather the long nose hawk fish on the nearby sea fan :) Anyhow, it look a lot more like a carnival to me than a place where pgymy seahorses eat each other....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom