Some ol books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sam,

The Silent World is a US paperback, part of a series called the perennial library.

Perennial library
Harper & Row Publishers
New York * Hagertown * San Francisco * London
Copyright 1953 - First Perennial edition published 1965
Standard book number 06-08027-5

4000 Years is a GB paperback.

First published in this translation 1954 by Sidgwick & Jackson Ltd.
This edition published in 1957 by Pan Books Ltd.
8 Headfort Place, London.

but then below it says:

Printed in Great Britain by Wyman & Sons Ltd.
Fakenham and reading and bound by a flexback thermoplastic binder manufactured by The Book Machinery Co Ltd. 124 Westbridge Rd, London.

There is no ISBN number.

Thank You DaleC..

I only think in terms of Hardcover books So the pictural covers tossed me for a loop. I do have a number of Soft covers I have collected over the years but they are high up on my book shelf and seldom ( Never) taken down to read or use for research...Some day I must E bay them

Interesting this thing called Bibliophila..

SDM

There is a "Dive" by Rick & Barbara Carrier on E-BAY--It is either a Original or the second edition revised by Gene Parker

FYI
There are three editions of DIVE

1957..The original --pub Wilfred Funk NYC

1963..Revised by Gene Parker--Published by Wilfred Funk, NYC

1973 ..Revised by Charles Bertitz--Pub Funk & Wagnalls, NYC

go for it!

SDM

There is a "Dive" by Rick & Barbara Carrier on E-BAY--It is either a Original or the second edition revised by Gene Parker

FYI
There are three editions of DIVE

1957..The original --pub Wilfred Funk NYC SDM

One of my editions of the Carriers' DIVE is copyrighted 1955 by Wilfred Funk, Inc. It comes with an appendix listing equipment with prices current in May 1955. I also have the 1963 edition, revised by Gene Parker, whose 1965 paperback "Complete Handbook of Skin Diving (Avon Books) is in my collection too. The 1963 edition of DIVE is copyrighted "1955, 1963". I'm wondering whether the 1957 DIVE you mention is an extra edition in its own right or a reprint of the 1955 original?

The copy of Rick and Barbara Carrier's Dive currently on eBay at
http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-Complete-Book-Skin-Diving-Illustrated-photographs_W0QQitemZ310162367952QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090817?IMSfp=TL090817176001r32282
appears to be the 1955 edition. From the accompanying photograph, its dust cover looks in the same state as mine, but mine has some of the dust cover missing on the spine! At the time of writing there are three and a half days to go with the bidding.

Last edited:
One of my editions of the Carriers' DIVE is copyrighted 1955 by Wilfred Funk, Inc. It comes with an appendix listing equipment with prices current in May 1955. I also have the 1963 edition, revised by Gene Parker, whose 1965 paperback "Complete Handbook of Skin Diving (Avon Books) is in my collection too. The 1963 edition of DIVE is copyrighted "1955, 1963". I'm wondering whether the 1957 DIVE you mention is an extra edition in its own right or a reprint of the 1955 original?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David there is only one way to positively ID an American book of that era and that is via the LCCC IE: Library of Congress Catalog Card...The LCCC# on my DIVE is 55-5481...55 is the year issued and 5481 is the number assigned via the powers at LCCC.

To obtain a LCCC # the publisher applies and is issued a block of 10 LCCC numbers --to be used or discarded

The LCCC number indicates the number was issued in 1955--but the "Cover page" states;

"The complete book of
Skin Diving
by
Rick and Barbara Carrier
Wilford Funk, Inc, NewYork
DIVE"

So it was published in 1957, possibly written in 1955...Please check LCCC number on your book...Is it possible that there was a UK or a Canadian issue?

Yes -- I have the Gene Parker book...Matter of fact I have several in various states of disrepair kicking around. For a while Gene was rather productive...SDM offered him a position, but there were some difficulties so he retreated back to the NE US an almost was never heard from again, so he didn't bring the Eastern Culture to the Wild West.....

What ever happened to Reg Valentine?

Sam Miller

dive-c.jpg

CLASSIC DIVING BOOKS - USA

Sam: The cover page of my copy of "Dive" reads:

==========================
Copyright, 1955, (c)
by Wilfred Funk, Inc.

Wilfred Funk Inc.
an enterprise book
New York

Dive
The Complete Book
of Skin Diving
Library of Congress Catalog Card
Number 55-5481
Printed in the United States of America

=======================================

I can find no trace of a 1957 date anywhere in the tome. Is it possible for a book to be copyrighted "1955" by the publisher who then publishes it 2 years later? I've always thought that a copyright date indicated the year when a book first went into print. Then there's the question of the new edition revised by Gene Parker. My copy says "Copyright 1955, 1963 by Wilfred Funk, Inc." There's no mention of 1957 there either.

A further piece of evidence is my copy of "Free Diving" by Dimitri Rebikoff. One of the opening pages identifies it as a first edition, copyright, 1955, 1956. The title page reads:

===============================
DIMITRI REBIKOFF
FREE
DIVING
With a Preface by
Commandant Yves le Prieur
Translated from the French
American Edition Edited by
Albert VanderKogel
E. P. Dutton & Company, Inc.
New York, 1956
=============================
The above book has a bibliography on page 215. One of the references is:
Carrier, Rick and Barbara. Dive. New York: Wilfred Funk, 1955.

I'm afraid I can't help with Reg Vallintine. There are some indications on the Web that he was active in the early years of the current decade but nothing since then. You could try posting a message on the BSAC Forum at

BSAC Scuba Diving Forums

considering his long association with the British Sub Aqua Club. However, my impression of the membership of the forum is that there are very few "old-timers" left who would be able to supply useful information.

Postscript. I checked my bookshelf and found "Divers and Diving" by Reg VALLINTINE. Realising that my previous misspelling of Reg's surname while Googling may have affected the search results, I tried again and found:

Reg Vallintine, Vice Chairman

Reg Vallintine has been involved in the underwater world since his first aqualung dive in 1954 and has a special interest in the development of autonomous equipment. He organises the Annual Conference, Half-day conferences, visits and book meetings for the Society. Has spoken on the history of diving at numerous conferences and his books include Divers and Diving (a history). Contact at 13 Glendower Road, London SW14 8NY.
tel: +44 (0)20 8876 0735 fax:+44 (0)20 8878 4131

at

http://www.thehds.com/about/biogs.html

Any help?

Last edited:
I have a few more DIVES in my sale and trade box --if I can locate them I will compare and advise
~~~~~~~~~~~
My Rebikoff book is the same as yours.

It's LCCC # is 56- 6318--which indicates a 1956 publication
224 pages
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rebikoff #2 is has a number of changes;

Translated by; Mervlyn Savill
Published by; Sedgwick and Jackson-1955 -- UK

216 pages--last four pages are advertisments for British diving equipment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vander Kogel has a great American diving book--which I can't seem to locate in the case

I have a copy of the same book.

Dive
The Complete Book
of Skin Diving
Library of Congress Catalog Card
Number 55-5481
Printed in the United States of America

Inside the cover is the handwriting of the owner's name and address. Next to the address in the same handwriting is Christmas of 56.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom