Some of the most epic diving destinations!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking about going to Cabo Pulmo next week. Any advice on dive shops, where to stay, how to get there from airport, temps? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Good idea! You are going to have a blast there! I posted my detail trip to Cabo Pulmo in post #91, page 10 of this thread: Trip Report - Socorro Real Time Review Here is the quoted post.
We did the first dive around 11:45am for 55 minutes. Visibility was about 40-50 ft. Water temperatures were about 73 F at the bottom to 83 F at the surface. Mild current & drift dive in dive site called El Bajo. Saw schooling of ~ 2-3 ft long Groupers including Golden Groupers, schooling of Grunts, schooling of Snappers, several swimming Green Morays, Cortez Anglefish, Stingray, Cownose Ray.

The 2nd dive was in El Vencedor wreck ~ 47 ft depth at around 1:18pm for 48 minutes. That’s the highlight of the trip. We saw about a dozen Bull Sharks. Some of them were bigger than us. I was kneeling down on the sandy bottom, admiring them, as this was my first time seeing Bull Sharks after 16 years of diving. They came close to me. I just held my ground and they just came closer and closer to as close as 6” (15 cm) to my face. I put my camera in front of my face, between my mask and the Sharks just in case they’d bump test me, it would be on my camera instead of my mask. Lots of schooling fishes above us like in the 1st dive. There were a couple of 4-ft Amber Jack hanging around in the wreck.

I have been diving in El Vencedor 3 times before in 2011, 2013, 2015 but have never seen Bull Sharks there. According to Arturo, the owner of Cabo Pulmo Travel, Home, which was the dive operator that we went diving with today, the Bull Sharks just started to appear there 4 years ago, from September to June of the next year. They were coming there more and more every year and this is a Marine Park, so no Shark feeding allowed. So we were seeing the natural environment & behavior of the Bull Sharks. I guess there are so much smaller fish to hunt and feed on they are just not interested on us and not shy coming towards divers either. Simply incredible dive!

Also, please see my response to your PM for recommended place to stay. You can contact Arturo, the owner of Cabo Pulmo Travel for getting there from the airport and any accommodation availability in his dive resort.

Thinking

Thinking about going to Cabo Pulmo next week. Any advice on dive shops, where to stay, how to get there from airport, temps? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I did the baja trip 2 weeks ago, for sure I'm going to do it again!

Beacuse we have to change our plans of the original trip at the very last minute, we decided to do the baja trip , so we rent a car at san jose del cabo airport , with no plan at all, so we were taking dessisions of where to go and sleep at the moment. So the first place we visit was "TODOS SANTOS" its small very nice town where is the "HOTEL CALIFORNIA " of the song ( or thats what they say ) and after eat and walk around town we drove to La Paz

at LA PAZ we expend 2 nights day 1 : first dive with sea lions ( it was amazing ) , big and friendly males and females
second DIVE : wreck dive, very nice but the viz was not that good

day 2 : since it was the MOBULA migration season, we move to "La ventana" and did snorkel whit hundreds of mobulas
I think its great experience and can be in anyone bucket list .

then we drive to CABO pulmo and stay there 2 nights
day 3 : 2 dives there , bullsharks at 2nd dive . (amazing) , I enjoyed a lot more then the bull sharks dive at Playa del carmen
day 4 : 2 dives , bullsharks again at first dive , and 2nd dive nice reefs

any advise ? : I think its very safe area, so I did rent a car and drive around, but if you only want to go to cabo pulmo , there is the AIRBNB option and I hear that with some of them you can arange they pick you up, or at least they can help you with more info about how the get there !

About The dive shops , I think all of the dive operators in cabo pulmo are good and very professional . I dove with " CABO PULMO DIVERS " ,

you are forgetting tubitaha phippines

If your definition of 'epic' includes extreme and borderline suicidal, check out the DAN Feb. 25, 2021 Alert Diver article Smile, Crocodile. It leads with some discussion of diving with American crocodiles, but skip down several paragraphs to where it talks about diving in Africa, with Nile crocodiles and hippos as water hazards. Turns out there's an area with clear water for a month there, and a couple of divers went with guides to check it out.

If your definition of 'epic' includes extreme and borderline suicidal, check out the DAN Feb. 25, 2021 Alert Diver article Smile, Crocodile. It leads with some discussion of diving with American crocodiles, but skip down several paragraphs to where it talks about diving in Africa, with Nile crocodiles and hippos as water hazards. Turns out there's an area with clear water for a month there, and a couple of divers went with guides to check it out.
Wow, that's crazy! Might be a bit too 'epic' for me :D but very interesting to read. Thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom