Some Images From One Of Our OW Cert Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

battles2a5:
Didn't yours? We did lost line drills and mask off air-sharing on the line for my 5th open water check-out. Oh let me guess, you were PADI certified...

:D joking (I'm PADI). I think the OP said that a tech diving student took that picture of their instructor while inside the cavern.
Even worse, Im a PADI instructor. Also a trained cave diver. Just want to make sure the OP understands that if this was a PADI class, that was a major violation of standards. In fact, Im not even sure Ginnie qualifies for OW training. Its too shallow. Just trying to keep my colleagues in line.

creggur:
CERT6.jpg

Tracie Mask R&R
Nice one on the course, but who took this pic ? Hope it wasn't the instructor !!!!! :no

creggur:
CERT7.jpg

Pic of a Tech Training Diver by my instructor from inside the cavern in Ginnie
Inside a cavern on OW course ??? Shocking !! :shakehead

I have to tilt my head down to clear my mask in shallow water because of my nose valve thing. For some reason, it just won't clear with me looking up. Deep water, no problem.

I'm sure I made a similar face during my mask removal, but our water temp was 46 degrees. Talk about a shock to the system. :)

--Shannon

Really sorry I posted now...... Wife looks uncomfortable without mask because she had contacts in and was keeping her eyes closed, not to mention the water in the springs was pretty chilly when it hits your face....

No we did not go in a cavern, after we were out of the water the DM that was with us swam in to take the picture for us.....

I reflexively look down when I flood my mask, helps me to keep breathing, then as I exhale I tilt my head back to clear the mask......

Also this was just one of our dives, there were dives at other springs in central Florida. Our instructor was very by the book, in these pics we were practicing in shallow water per our request to get comfortable in the water....

jviehe:
Even worse, Im a PADI instructor. Also a trained cave diver. Just want to make sure the OP understands that if this was a PADI class, that was a major violation of standards. In fact, Im not even sure Ginnie qualifies for OW training. Its too shallow. Just trying to keep my colleagues in line.

Ah, I see your point. Sorry for being a smart*****, just trying to lighten the mood.

That's the same way I teach students to clear a mask. It looks as if you are starting a perfect text book example of how to clear a mask there. And I'll say, in water that cold for check out dives - I would be making a much worse face than anything your pictures show!

In that kind of water temp, I'm glad to see any kind of face! I've seen too many students want to leave for the surface when sub 50 water hits them!

And how in the world did you stand those temps without a hood on! You are more manly than me! Or maybe it was the warm feeling you had from having one of the ScubaToys mask straps!

Good job and congrats! Welcome to the world of divers - now go find some place warmer to jump in!

The water was 72 degrees, but with outside air temps in the high 90's, and a heat index over 100 it was quite cool when the water hits a previously unexposed area of skin like your face....

72 that is pretty hot I don't know what you will do when you get in a lake like the one in my back yard and the temperture is 63. Here at 63 we get the shorty out and put the 7mil away for the summer.

creggur:
The water was 72 degrees, but with outside air temps in the high 90's, and a heat index over 100 it was quite cool when the water hits a previously unexposed area of skin like your face....

Ah... that's not too bad then... still a shock. Sorry - the other post has just been sitting in my brain... It's just funny to me how someone can try to assess someones comfort level diving from looking at one snapshot of one dive. There is no way I would try to tell you how comfortable you are in the water from a picture. I just want to thank you for sharing the photo's and extend congratulations on your accomplishments.

Besides, any time someone has to take off a scubatoys strap - their face automatically scrunches up a bit!

Can someone please explain to me why you would want to look down to clear a mask? I have never understood that. There are much more efficient methods...:wink:
From some past threads:
SparticleBrane:
Here is a fantastic video of several mask clears + a great displacement snorkel clear. It's a *.mp4 file so you'll need quicktime.

This is from a student in this semester's rescue class; it isn't me. Mine aren't quite that good. I wish all our students looked that great...this particular student practices his basic skills frequently though, so that's why his mask and snorkel clears look so great.
SparticleBrane:
A perfect mask clear has no extra bubbles and clears the mask completely, slowly, and deliberately. The mask clears in the video I posted are almost perfect--a few extra bubbles towards the end of each clear but other than that, they're good.

Anyone should be able to clear their mask at least 3 times on a single breath; more if you're decent. If you have good technique, 6-8 on one breath (plus a good displacement snorkel clear) is easily attainable.

Shall I copy my previous posts about exhalation drills/cold water treatment that helps you adapt to colder water before you ever drop down?
Also, don't worry about losing your contacts. I do lots of maskless work, eyes completely open, and have never lost a contact. I would point out that you should keep your eye comfortably closed, or open as they normally would be out of the water. If you squint you are more likely to lose a contact (especially if you have your eyes slightly open) since squinting changes the shape of your eye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom