Some Days It's Amazing To Be A Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I get to do a lot of dives each week - all for fun. I have a wonderful wife who accepts this passion, advising me only to come home safe. I also have some wonderful dive buddies to share my experiences with. It's been a long time since I had a dive that I was glad was over. Sure I've been cold, had to take a wiz or been hungry during my 10' stop, but I've always enjoyed my dives.

Tonight's dive stood out high and above all the good days. Tonight was a bit like waking up to a blue bird day and 3' of fresh Utah powder. You realize that you will cut fresh tracks for, oh say the whole day! In other words extraordinary.

One of my regular buddies and another SB member - PuckVirus had heard that last night there had been a rash of six gill shark sightings. TBone wanted to dive Cove 2, but in a different way than what we normally do. His plan was to drop down to about 85' head nearly south towards Salties and look for sharks. I figured what the heck. I hadn't done that profile yet, so game on. We decided that we would go south for about 14 minutes and then turn towards shore and go up to about 50'. Once there we would head back towards Cove 2 and pick up the dolphins by the Honey Bear. We found out from a previous group that a large GPO was tucked away there.

We did our dive plan and dropped down to about 85' with the bottom being at 95'. We saw one little red octo and a bunch of Batfish. Lots of mud and not much else. We did our turn and ascended up to 50' when a harbor seal decided that our HID's were doing a wonderful job of showing him where the seal snacks were to be found. I wish those seals would learn how to frog kick so as not to stir up the bottom. So far the dive was uneventful and frankly pretty boring. We got to where the bottom was at 55' and we were at about 50' when we made our second turn to parallel the shore and head towards the Honey Bear. We hadn't made our turn for long when what should I see at eye level coming directly toward us, but a beautiful six gill shark. We figure it was about 9' long. It came directly at us and with about 3' between us it veered off. We were so silent you could have heard a pin drop into the mud. For the next five minutes this shark swam circles around us, passed overhead and on a couple of occasions swam within arms length beneath us. It just seemed curious and was completely non aggressive. None of us could believe how long it spent with us and towards the end I wondered if we were going to have use care in going back to shore. No was the answer. When it's curiosity was appeased, it swam off in the direction it had come and I'm sure it passed near some very unaware divers.

Awestruck we left the scene and found our way to the Honey Bear where in fact there was a HUGE GPO tucked away. We could see it, in all it's splendor. Another whiteish one was seen at the brick pile as well. We finished our 60 minute dive adding another red octo and a very nice grunt sculpin.

This was a truly memorable dive. Thanks to NWGrateful diver for loaning me his HID light while mine was is being fixed. If it weren't for him I never would have seen this shark. Nice dive plan TBone. PuckVirus - glad you could join us. For those two it is there first 6 gill sighting.

That sounds awesome. Almost good enough to make me think about cold water! :11:

That is sooo cool! So which one of you was using the herring oil cologne ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was going to write something, but my dive buddie wrote the above and I'd just like to add that sighting my first 6 gill shark has to have been the most memorable experience I can remember in along time. I always wondered what I would do when I would see my first 6 gill, I thought I would get nervouse. But the truth of the matter when I seen this guy curising twoard us it was very calming and awe inspiring like seeing your first golden eagle. Even when the shark swam directly at me and came within 2 feet of my chest I wasnt sure if I should have been scared, worried or just I dont know. Truth be known the harbor seals that use our lights to snack scare me more then these sharks do. On a side note the shark itself when circling us, seemed to like absorbing the energy from our lights. I found myself puzzled when several times the shark would sometimes go verticle and just sit there with its topside to us just basking in our lights. I also loved the fact that when we did see the shark the harbor seal did finally take its que and leave the area instead of being the bad diver it was and continued to muck uP the water. Need to bring those sharks around more often to scare away those seals.

OE2X:
We found out from a previous group that a large GPO was tucked away there.

I'm all about the TLR (Three Letter Reference.) But this one has me stumped.

What's a GPO?

Thanks

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
How giant is giant?

---
Ken

Giant Pacific Octopus typically grow to about 8-10 feet from tip-to-tip. Some grow much larger ... I saw one last year in the same location (tucked under the bow of the Honey Bear) that probably would've been in the 12-15 foot range. And down at the dolphins at 110 fsw, there was an even larger one we named "Popeye". Even when they're tucked in you can usually tell by looking at the size of the suckers up near their mantle. Popeye's were about 4 inches diameter, which are HUGE.

They're an impressive animal when you consider that they start out about the size of a grain of rice, and grow to those amazing lengths in less than five years (a typical lifespan for a GPO).

Two years ago, my ex-wife took a picture of a newly-hatched GPO ... cute little thing ... as with most babies, its head is too big and its legs are too short. As I said, this little guy is about the size of a grain of rice ... and the photo was taken at night at a depth of about 103 fsw ..

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
That is sooo cool! So which one of you was using the herring oil cologne ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Unbeknownst to TBone, during our bubble check we tied off a couple of pork chops to his tank.

Back
Top Bottom