Some advice for cruising divers (or diving cruisers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I have done scuba diving off a cruise quite a few times and here are some thoughts for anyone considering this.

Cruising is a pretty good way to get some diving in at multiple locations in a short period of time and still keep non-diving family/friends entertained.

There are two major options: go with the ship's excursion or set up your own dives. Both options have pros and cons.
From my experience, here it is.

Going with the ship's excursion.

Pros: less hassle setting up the dives; better control over outcome if weather/conditions dictate canceling the dive plans; you don't have to worry about getting back to the boat before it leaves (this is a major consideration for some people); being on a ship's excursion means that you get the prime tender times for getting off the boat in the morning; get to meet some of the other people on the boat which can be nice later in the week;

Cons: diving can be a mediocre, cattle boat operation; mixed bag of diver abilities/desires; they've got your money and might not be too concerned with giving you a first-class experience since you won't be the major factor in deciding if they get to serve the boat next time it is in port;

Setting up your own:

Pros: Probably a better dive experience; a better return on your money; smaller groups (if you do your homework);

Cons: worries about getting back to the ship on time (the joke is: take your camera on your dive so that you can get a picture of the ship pulling out of the harbor without you); it can take some time and effort to get the right dive operator and coordinate everything (especially if there are language barriers and the DO is hard to get ahold of); less control if the ship is late getting in, changes itinerary, etc;

Bottom line: if you are a relatively new diver and your spouse/SO/family is going to hold it against you the rest of your life if you miss the boat or if you are going to be overly stressed worrying about getting back to the ship, then you probably want to dive with the ship's excursion.

If, OTOH, you are a diver who is likely to be disappointed if the dive isn't one of the best in the location and you are willing to take t+he time/effort to find and book the right dive op and you have adequately bribed your spouse/SO to wait for you on the dock even if the ship is leaving, then you will probably be happiest booking your own.

Either way can be great. I have had dives through the ship's excursion which were verey enjoyable. OTOH, I've had some very marginal dives through the ships op also. The prime consideration is probably diver experience/expectations.

Those (some on this board) who bad mouth going on a cruise and diving are missing the point. It's not the best week of diving you've ever had, but it is a FIRST CLASS vacation with friends/lovers/whatever and you get to dive in warm water. What more could you ask for?

If you are going to set up your own, this board is a perfect place to get names/recommendations/contacts and start the process.

Hope this helps,

Rich Hagelin

Good post Rich. I agree. You've said it all. I can't think of much to add other then you can ask most ships to pack you a lunch when you leave for the day and they will. A lot of people don't know this.

Also don't forget your tip money for DMs and boat captains.

Natasha:
Good post Rich. I agree. You've said it all. I can't think of much to add other then you can ask most ships to pack you a lunch when you leave for the day and they will. A lot of people don't know this.

Also don't forget your tip money for DMs and boat captains.

I have to agree with you both. Our last two cruises, I took my gear (except for tanks, weights and knife) and dove on some of the islands. I tend to set up my own trips, as I have seen what the cruise sponsored dive operations are like. I usually only dive in the morning, and have NEVER been close to missing a boat leaving. Indeed, the biggest hassle is getting my 45 lbs of gear and the great big bag back to the cabin after a dive.

On Barbadoes in Jan of last year, I walked onto the boat after the dive and stood in line for the elevator to take me up to our suite with my big dive bag hanging off my shoulder. (Usually I would take the stairs, but with the dive bag, and the fact that it was about seven levels up, I opted for the elevator) The elevator was quite crowded, and I ended up standing against the back wall, with the bag still on my shoulder. When we finally got up to the Navigation deck, where my cabin was, I asked politely to be let out. NO ONE MOVED. I said a little more forcefully that I was "coming out!", and no one budged. So I just started to move (I'm 6'-4", 260 lbs). As I hit the threshold of the elevator, my dive bag about took some lady off her feet as I hurried to clear the closing door. Well, you should have heard what they had to say then!

I looked back at the closing doors and tipped my hat, and headed to the cabin. I HATE it when people act like cows!

That was a great cruiseline (Celebrity) and a great cruise, but NOT my favorite group of people. I prefer Holland America for our cruises, and wanted to try some different that time.

Each cruise line has its own personality. We personally prefer Princess over the other lines. For a diver, Princess also has an on-board instructor/dm. They offer a cert course on most 7-day or longer cruises. It was nice to have some "professional" divers on board to discuss the various dive stops if you haven't been there before.

Also, on a couple of cruise-dedicated web sites (cruise-addicts.com, etc), there is an opportunity to find other divers going on your cruise.

Rich Hagelin

Funny Rich..I'm off to a Princess Cruise seminar/ lunch today.

By the way, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL also have dive professionals on every ship.
I'll have to check on Celebrity, but since they are owned by Royal Caribbean they probably do too.

Natasha:
Funny Rich..I'm off to a Princess Cruise seminar/ lunch today.

By the way, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL also have dive professionals on every ship.
I'll have to check on Celebrity, but since they are owned by Royal Caribbean they probably do too.

Holland America is also part of the above group I do believe. It seems really weird that Carnival, the party boat company, is owned by the same company that owns the "upper class" of cruise lines. Don't know about having a dive pro but I will soon find out.
I can highly recommend HAL. My GF and I will be leaving in a couple of weeks for the West Carribbean and the Panama Canal cruise with HAL. At almost every stop they offer a certified dive along with a couple of non-certified dives. So you can pretty much take your pick as to what you want to dive. One of them is even a two tank dive.
Personally I think I would rather let someone else take care of all the planning and sit back and enjoy, that's what vacations are for. So big deal if you have to share the boat with 15 other people. The idea is to get wet and have fun.

Natasha, I didn't realize that you could get a lunch to go for the port days. I guess it makes since though.
Have you ever spelled Natasha backwards? It is really weird. :devil_smi

...when we took our trip a year ago in January. Indeed, they canceled a dive in St. Maarten because they said they didn't have enough to fill (this was the ONLY time I used a ships dive outing). So I contacted the Dive Safari's directly and dived anyway. They didn't mind taking four divers out.

Cruised with Holland America in Oct., stops

Cruised on Holland America in Oct., stopped and snorkeled @ Half Moon Cay, Nassua,St. Martin and did the non-cert. dive through Undersea Safaris in St.Thomas.The cruise was top notch and the dive (45 min. from St.Thomas on an old freighter broke in half in @ 40' ,shore entry from a small island) was Life Changing!!!!!!! Have since completed NAUI classroom and pool work and am waiting for the weather to allow open water work at Cape Ann...Will it ever warm up?
There was no dive pro on the cruise ship........Plenty of experienced and pleasant folks on the dive. Safe dives and happy bubbles to all, Rick2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom