Somber Note - Shuttle Columbia Rememberance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Two years ago today the space shuttle Columbia broke over the morning skies of Texas killing all on board

Joe

Sad to remember, i heard they were going to do a joint memorial for the Challenger, Columbia and Apollo (2?) that all went down around the same time in January/February timeframe.

I remember that morning (of Columbia, though also Challenger; wasn't around for
Apollo 1).

it was a very sad day for me. i love the space program. it quickly became apparent
to me that no one could have survived such a failure on re-entry.

My wife and I lived in Orlando. We where both home and watching channel 21 that carried the launches and landings. In Orlando there is a very noticable sonic Boom. We counted down and listened. When they where minutes over due I told my wife.. That is not ##%%$@@ good. Something is very wrong this is a by the second operation.

It was a sad day. I tilt my head toward the heavens and offer a cheerful salute to the scientist, astronauts and everyone involved that push the line of what we know and what we need to yet learn that keeps us ever advancing in space and on the dirt ball we currently reside on.

Push on, look up and remember what it cost to get this far.

Interestingly enough, Orlando Eric called me up to tell me that there was a problem with the Challenger. I flipped on the Television and got the sad news before calling friends and family.

They say that there are certain things that happen when you'll forever remember exactly where you were. For me it was:
President Kennedy shot - in thrid grade class
Bobby Kennedy shot - watching it live on television
Columbia Explosion - picking up car in New Orleans
9/11 - in the Air Operations shop at US Central Command
Challenger Breakup - Doing some early morning work on the computer

They are the milestones that make up our collective generations memory - too bad they're all sad :shakehead

Lee

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom