Soma Bay or Makadi Bay, Egypt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P-Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you had a choice, would you spend a week in Soma Bay or Makadi Bay?

It's for August of 2020. The Breakers in Soma Bay is closed until the end of August. I was going to stay there, but it's looking like that's not an option. So, now it's up in the air.

I've never been to the region before. Where would you stay? What hotel/dive resort? Does your recommended place have a dive center on site and a house reef?

Thanks for any advice!

Oh no... Sorry to hear that the Breakers is not open now. If i had the choice, i would stay in Soma Bay, of course:wink:
I don't know Makadi Bay personally, but heard good things about the Extra Divers Makadi Bay. Makadi Bay will certainly be better than Hurghada in terms of House Reef and they should have the same day trips/dive spots as the guys in Soma Bay.
If you end up in Hurghada, then James & Mac are the guys to dive with. Spots there are not so nice than further south but the bonus of Hurghada is that you are in day trip distance of the Thistlegorm and some other wrecks.
Saying that and as the region has been closed for several months, it should not be overcrowded and the sites may have been possitively impacted by the missing tourist.

Extra Divers in Makadi Bay are a good outfit, we stayed at the Cleopatra Adult only Hotel. J&M are legend, if the Giftun is not to your liking stay at one of the hotels close to Blue Water Dive Resort (J&M own them). I personally dived with Tobias when he was still on Seven7Seas and Markus aka Maxl is legend.

Oh no... Sorry to hear that the Breakers is not open now. If i had the choice, i would stay in Soma Bay, of course:wink:
I don't know Makadi Bay personally, but heard good things about the Extra Divers Makadi Bay. Makadi Bay will certainly be better than Hurghada in terms of House Reef and they should have the same day trips/dive spots as the guys in Soma Bay.
If you end up in Hurghada, then James & Mac are the guys to dive with. Spots there are not so nice than further south but the bonus of Hurghada is that you are in day trip distance of the Thistlegorm and some other wrecks.
Saying that and as the region has been closed for several months, it should not be overcrowded and the sites may have been possitively impacted by the missing tourist.

Breakers will know by the end of the week if they will be open. Apparently the Sheraton and Kempinski are open/opening and Orca Dive center is opening August 1st. I think I'm leaning towards Soma Bay. Any idea how far the Sheraton is from the Orca Dive center?

I'll check out Extra Divers in Makadi Bay. I also read good things about iDive in Makadi. They are affiliated with the Fort Arabesque Hotel.

If I had to choose between these 2 options, I'd go to Soma bay without hesitation.

From there, you can reach some of the best places, like Panorama reef or Abu Kifan.

I suppose you know what the sun is in Hawai... :wink: because in august, you will be in a kind of oven there ! So, better going to dive....

Well, time sure changes things, doesn't it? My August trip got canceled by the boat and I ended up going to the Galapagos instead. I'm attempting this Egypt trip again in April/May.

I'll do two weeks on the liveaboard and then have a two day stay in Hurghada while I wait to get a Covid test so that I can go on my merry way to southern Africa to see my mom. It looks as though Makadi Bay and Soma Bay will be too much of a hassle if I need to go back and forth to Hurghada to get tested.

So, I'll be in Hurghada. Hotel recommendations in Hurghada itself? I have read that the reef in Hurghada is pretty beat up and not worth my time. I'd like to stay somewhere with a nice pool and decent food (all inclusive might be nice so I don't have to worry about anything) so that I can relax after two weeks on the boat. Knowing me, I will probably dive, so James and Mac are the guys in Hurghada? Anyone else? Or just go straight to them?

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance. :)

I can not comment on Hotel, it's too long ago...
J&M is definitely a good choice. They will offer you all what you need: see your question about testing in HRG :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom