Question Solved - Peregrine MOD 59m for air??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batdiver_82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!
My Peregrine shows a MOD of 59m for air (PPO2 1.40). My calculations would be 57m 1.4/0.21=66.66 ata - 0.966 shown surface pressure). How comes that the Peregrine calculates 59m?

1000013413.jpg

Are you assuming salt water but the Peregrine is assuming fresh water?

So the question is answered, but anyone care to debate what we should today consider the "maximum operating depth" for a gas?

1. ppO2 < 1.4 (or 1.6 for a 'deco gas')
2. narcotic effect < ~40m EAD/END MAX? (but ideally more like 20-30m, aka ppN2 < ~3atm)
3. gas density < 7 g/L at depth
4. ...?

Modern definitions beyond just ppO2 put the maximum operating depth (=MOD) of air more around ~40 metres

People still do occasionally go to 60 metres on air (I have, as an experiment) but it is not recommended.
That applies whether it is a primary breathing gas, a bailout, or a diluent, for the same reasons (narcosis & density)

An accident happens at 70 metres on air... Was ppO2 the cause? Maybe... Or was it a super narc'ed out, CO2 loaded diver running low on gas making bad decisions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom