Solomons Trip Rept Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac:
You'll finally have a comparison between the Caribbean and the Pacific. There are some great dives in the Caribbean but there is so much more diversity in the Pacific. I'm looking forward to hearing how you think they compare. Have you picked up a book on marine life for the area you are going to? It does help you become familiar when you see the diversity and species that you've never seen before.
I have found that going in a westerly direction isn't bad at all (plus you have the anticipation). Coming back is the killer, at least for me it has been. Takes at least a week to get some normalcy of sleep patern back. You might ask your physician for some ambien to help the ride down and back as well as to get it right once you are back.

Thanks bro. I picked up the Lonely Planet Palau book and have it pretty much memorized. I've got 11 days in Palau with just a dive buddy. No wives. No kids. No worries. 6 nights on a chartered sail/dive platform (Eclipse out of Sams Tours) with 2 nites either side at PPR. Plan to spend at least two days at Blue Corner if possible. So close now I can taste it (58 days). I'll deal with the lag but I know its going to kill me on the way east based upon my West coast travels.

peterjmaerz:
Hey Tim,

My lag was minimal, even though my adopted time zone was 15 hours ahead of home.

I think there are as many suggestions for jet lag reduction as there are for common cold cures! Mine is to start on my new "clock" as soon as possible before the trip (and before the return trip home). This usually involves staying up all night and trying to sleep during the day a day or two before departure. My thinking is that I'm going to have to go through it sooner or later and I might as well get the hard part over with at home rather than cutting into the enjoyment of my vacation (or my life when returning home). I also plot out all my air travel in terms of the new clock and try to sleep (or avoid sleep) on the plane rides accordingly. If lucky, you may find a flight that coordinates with your new sleep time. If so, I'd get a scrip for Ambien CR or similar timed-release sleep aid and pop one after gaining altitude (and eating a meal, if they're serving one). I managed to sleep for 8 hours straight on a 10-hour run from Seoul to LAX.

If you don't have the luxury of getting a head start on the new time zone, the standard prescriptions are: start thinking in your "new time" asap. Don't drink alcoholic or caffeinated beverages in transit and upon arrival. Once at your destination, stay out in the light during the day as much as possible. And try your very best not to sleep at least until evening.

To me, the plane flights are kind of a release from "normal" life. I bring lots of stuff to do: books, crosswords, PDA games, etc. The flights are not as big a deal as they may seem, especially in light of where you're going!

Have a ball. Let us know how life is on the Blue Corner!

Best Regards,

Thanks for the tips. I'll apply it as much as I can. Going there doesn't bother me its coming back thats a killer.

I have to second the info about Korean Air -- we made our trip to Sydney with them. Comfortable airplane, interesting food (I think I had three servings of bibipmap by the time we were home), and the flight attendants were lovely and attentive and clad in gorgeous uniforms. (Korea clearly has no prohibitions against picking employees for their looks.)

until we're on the Bilikiki - this is our first liveaboard, and we really went back and forth between PNG and the Solomons...not that either would be much of a bad choice!!

Thanks so much for your report. I am all dreamy-faced now from your descriptions, wondering how in the hell I'm going to deal with diving in Boston for the next 1/2 year knowing what's in my near future.

We were planning to bring some D batteries, school supplies for the kids, and t-shirts - I may bring some antibiotics that are accidentally left on board, as well. Other suggestions would be welcome.

Must go and look at the pictures immediately! Thanks again for your lovely descriptions.

Allison

Wow, sounds wonderful! How many Delta miles for that trip?

Thanks for the link. I have quite a few Amex Points I can transfer to Delta or Continental. I've been thinking about Palau, Wakatobi and your Solomon trip report is most enticing!

and it looks like, oh yeah, I picked the right trip.

I'm also less than five months out from a trip on the Bilikiki. IT's going to be great Vetdiver. Be prepared to accept nothing less than liveaboard in the future. This is my second.

Back
Top Bottom