Solo in the Sandstorm! : The Garden, Marineland 5.22.12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday afternoon's visibility over the 120 reef was stellar. I could see Garibaldi from atop the cliff and the color of the water was a deep dark blue. Determined to get wet before the upcoming rise in swell, I planned a solo dive at the Garden for the following morning. The trail leading to the cobblestone beach is still closed to the public, but I was able to slip past the yellow caution tape without anyone noticing. As I started to kick towards the point I saw a group of free divers on the beach being questioned by one of the resort's personnel. They weren't made to leave, but it is obvious the closure is being enforced "at least partially". While conditions today looked pretty decent from above, it was a far different story below. I descended right past the drain pipe and took a 180 heading towards the point. Above 20ft of depth visibility was a solid 10ft, but below that visibility closed out to sand storm conditions. Photography was made exceptionally hard in these conditions, but I made the best of it. Highlights of the dive was a Thetys Vagina and two Octopus.

Unfortunately it seems that spear and line fisherman are disregarding the newly formed MPA at Marineland. A group of spear fisherman were off the point and two separate vessels had lines in the water. As I returned to shore one spear fisherman had a large Cabezon that he was showing off to a few of the resort workers. I asked him where he speared her and he said over by the 120 reef. I then informed him that only Pelagic finfish, including Pacific bonito, and white seabass were allowed to be hunted by spear in that area. Surprisingly he didn't get agro with me and just said he had no idea any closures were in place. As I was gearing down in the parking lot another group of spear fisherman were heading down the path to the shore. I'm surprised there hasn't been any signs or notices put in to place to warn uninformed fisherman of the recent closure. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but I doubt there will be any real enforcement as F&G's resources are strewn awfully thin.

Here are a few pics which survived the sand storm:
Octo2-2.jpg

Vagina3.jpg

OliveRockfish.jpg

Garabaldi-1.jpg

Vagina1.jpg

VaginaStar1.jpg

Last edited:
We informed fishermen from three boats on Sunday about the MLPA between Pt. Vicente and Long Point. They hadn't heard about it, but left without arguing. I have 1 888 DFG-CALTIP (888 334-2258) on my cell phone just in case.

I just talked to a warden and was told that he will check out the area more often. He said if anyone witnesses any illegal fishing to get photos of the fishermen if possible.​

I just talked to a warden and was told that he will check out the area more often. He said if anyone witnesses any illegal fishing to get photos of the fishermen if possible.

Thanks for taking the initiative Phil! I'll save the number in my cell for next time :wink:

Thanks for posting Frank.
Did you have any trouble, (from the security), coming up the cove trail?
We are hoping the trail will be open for Memorial weekend, Sat & Sun for sure.
The VIS sure can change from one day to the next.
How was the water temp?

To Report a Poacher or Polluter; If you witness a poaching or polluting incident or any fish and wildlife violation, or have information about such a violation, immediately dial the toll free CalTIP number 1 888 DFG-CALTIP (888 334-2258), 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Be prepared to give the fullest possible account of the incident including the name, address, age and description of the suspect, vehicle description, direction of travel, license number, type of violation and when and where it occurred. You do not have to give your name.Information from the call is relayed to the Fish and Game region where the offense occurred and an investigation is undertaken locally. If the information supplied by the caller results in an arrest the caller becomes eligible for a reward. (Rewards up to $1,000 have been paid.) The case is then reviewed by a volunteer citizen's group known as the "Caltip Foundation". CalTIP rewards come entirely from donations, no state funds are used. The CalTIP Foundation, not the Department of Fish and Game receives and administers these funds. Money not used for the payment of rewards goes toward furthering CalTIP's educational goals (public service announcements, informational videos, billboard campaigns,
How to Help
Observe and Call
When you see or become aware of a poaching or polluting violation, call us.
Contact
If you would like to report a violation in progress or a report an ongoing violation please call the CalTIP line. 1 888 DFG-CALTIP (888 334-2258), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you want to find out more about the CalTIP program or have questions about how the CalTIP program works, please e-mail Lt. Jennifer Ikemoto

I spent the day on my boat at Deadmans reef in Laguna Saturday and saw two different boats come in and fish the point between Crescent bay and Emerald bay....I havn't decided what to do yet when I see it again...I dont think most people know about the MLPA at all... Anyone I talk to about the MLPA has no idea what im talking about...I do notice there are MORE fisherman now within Crystal Cove which is legal to fish, so less diving there...and nice octo pic....

Thanks for posting Frank.
We are hoping the trail will be open for Memorial weekend, Sat & Sun for sure.
The VIS sure can change from one day to the next.
How was the water temp?
According to their email, the trail should be open by Friday. Hopefully you won't have to deal with the guy who "built the beach."
:shakehead:

How was the water temp?

I got a few weird looks from the construction workers on the trail but no security confronted me. Water temp was 59 at depth and 64 on the surface.

I'm glad you finally got out. It's too bad conditions weren't better. Sounds like you made the best of it though. Nice find on the octopus...what the hell is a
Thetys Vagina? What kind of perverted bastard named that? I have a hunch..... Dr Bill...you dog you!

what the hell is a Thetys Vagina?
Among the more bizarre visitors to the waters of Monterey Bay is this pelagic tunicate. With a length exceeding 30 cm, Thetys is truly an impressive member of the zooplankton. It is the largest species of salp along the West Coast and is relatively easy to distinguish from all others. Unlike most gelatinous animals, the body is relatively firm due to the thick spiny test (the test, or tunic, is the hard outer covering typical of many tunicates, hence the name for the group). It retains its shape even when removed from the water. Solitary individuals have 20 partial muscle bands (far more than other salps in the area) that are used for constricting the body while pumping water for feeding and locomotion. A pair of pigmented posterior projections are very distinctive, as is the darkly colored, compact gut. Aggregate chains may be several meters in length. Individuals within the aggregate possess only 5 dorsally positioned muscle bands, and form double-row chains with zooid axes not quite at right angles to the length of the chain. Like other salps, Thetys continuous pumps water through a mucous net to extract phytoplankton and other small particles. Although relatively uncommon in Monterey Bay, this widespread species can be found in temperate and tropical waters of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans, to depths of about 150 meters. "Taken from http://jellieszone.com/thetys.htm"

What kind of perverted bastard named that? I have a hunch..... Dr Bill...you dog you!
:rofl3: Dr.Bill cannot contain his excitement when filming the elusive Thetys vagina:D
slinky_eyes.jpg

View attachment 124933
View attachment 124933

Back
Top Bottom