Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer to the question can't be posted in this forum, in reality post #1 should've been moved to a forum where a real answer won't cause issues about forum rules.
Report it and ask for it to be moved to the Solo Forum

But this is how we roll, the OP will be told over and over for 100 pages about the number of certifications, number of dives, and number of metric tons of gear required before he's "allowed" to think about solo diving.
That can't be right! both you and the OP are in the United States, and they're on the imperial system....

Report it and ask for it to be moved to the Solo Forum
True, I should care more and be part of the solution instead of adding to the nonsense. I'll consider that in a couple of weeks when someone else comes along with their version of "I wonder if I can solo dive"
That can't be right! both you and the OP are in the United States, and they're on the imperial system....
Also true, but I get the feeling that's one of the few metric units even Americans know are bigger than the imperial tons. But on this I will also consider caring more about the metric-challenged and use "crap-load" instead.

So there's a question about solo diving in the "Basic Scuba" forum.

The answer to the question can't be posted in this forum, in reality post #1 should've been moved to a forum where a real answer won't cause issues about forum rules.

But this is how we roll, the OP will be told over and over for 100 pages about the number of certifications, number of dives, and number of metric tons of gear required before he's "allowed" to think about solo diving.
My first thought when I saw the OP's question here in the Basic forum was that this thread will become useful to others in the future who are in a similar position as the OP and go searching for past discussions here. The question touched on whether a particular kind of dive would constitute a solo dive, asked by someone who apparently is not really familiar with the category of diving now commonly referred to as "solo diving."

I disagree with your assertion that "the answer to the question can't be posted in this forum." The answer to THIS person's question WAS posted, early in the thread. In my opinion, it would be a somewhat different question if it were asked in the Solo Diving forum, perhaps by someone who had some familiarity with solo diving concepts or at least had a lot more experience and was interested in getting into solo diving, and there might be a different answer.

At 9 dives, all from boats, the OP has no business solo diving. Period.

For those of you who are encouraging it, I know I would not hesitate to say “I told you so” if the OP took your misguided advice to solo dive and something happened.

I find this measure of ability to number of dives rather simplistic. No way it can be considered to be even approaching absolute enough to be certain as to say this person should absolutely not dive solo.

There are so many different types of people.... some that are shaky and uncertain of everything, some are indifferent, some are slow minded, some are quick minded, some are calm, some are methodical, some are very studious, etc....
and all of this changes depending on the situation or phase of the moon....folks that are calm cool and collected in a given situation might be just the opposite in others

Again, I'm not saying do it...and I'm not saying don't do it.... but maybe just maybe
this is a calm cool collected and very studious and capable guy....maybe he's a highly experienced military test pilot + a firefighter + an experienced lifeguard and swims like a fish....quick minded, knows his gear, used to working equipment intensive endeavors in low visibility, etc...
and maybe this dive is to a depth of 20ft...in an area of calm conditions and great visibility where the risk is really no greater than it would be if free diving.
I don't believe any of that has been explored by all the folks saying 9 dives total experience = NO

Again, I'm not saying do it...and I'm not saying don't do it.... but maybe just maybe
this is a calm cool collected and very studious and capable guy....maybe he's a highly experienced military test pilot + a firefighter + an experienced lifeguard and swims like a fish....quick minded, knows his gear, used to working equipment intensive endeavors in low visibility, etc...
If that describes our diver, then our diver would be in a great position to learn more about solo diving if that is of interest. Even the kind of person you describe may not, as the saying goes, "know what he doesn't know." There could be considerations that just hadn't occurred to him, but which more experienced solo divers know all about, and if he only knew about them it might indeed be no big deal for him to deal with. I'm sure the folks over in the Solo Diving forum would be happy to provide some more guidance. It's just a different discussion, in my humble opinion.*

(*speaking purely from personal opinion, without moderator hat on)

At 9 dives, all from boats, the OP has no business solo diving. Period.

For those of you who are encouraging it, I know I would not hesitate to say “I told you so” if the OP took your misguided advice to solo dive and something happened.
I'm personally willing to take that risk. :cool:

I have such a hard time understanding how so many people are entirely comfortable with recommending that people engage in shark feeding dives with Tigers and bulls and then seem to get all worked up over a 20 ft solo dive off the beach.

I'm personally willing to take that risk. :cool:

I have such a hard time understanding how so many people are entirely comfortable with recommending that people engage in shark feeding dives with Tigers and bulls and then seem to get all worked up over a 20 ft solo dive off the beach.

I think those folks are absolutely nuts myself.

I don't recommend those things until someone has way more than 9 dives. Shark feed diving seems to have a pretty good track record of safety for the spectators (the shark 'handlers' may be another story), but even so, I'd recommend working one's way up to that level of encounter. I'd observed reef shark feeding, then went to the non-baited/fed off-shore deep wreck sand tiger shark diving out of Morehead City, NC, before heading off to dive with Emerald Charters out of Jupiter, FL, for tiger (and we had bull) action. Even now, despite good experience and memories, I have no plans to do a Tiger Beach liveaboard where I'd likely be in the water with larger tiger sharks in higher numbers.

I don't get worked up if someone does a 20 foot benign conditions solo dive with 9 dives. I recommend against it, but if the diver's an adult and at least OW certified, 'you do you.'

On ScubaBoard, we frequently see reports posted of divers found dead, or not at all, with no evident known reason. I suspect many prefer ScubaBoard's evident 'dive practice culture' be one that leans a bit on the risk conservative side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom