Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many dives one needs to do to run into a problem?
It's basically a dice-roll. In some ways, one is fortunate to run into a problem that is non-severe, because it puts them in the mindset of "how would I handle X?" That's also where self-reliant training can be very useful, because one can aggregate those lessons from hundreds or thousands of such incidents, and come up with some general "training wheels" that should help keep most solo-divers safe in most of the common scenarios. (Whether or how many of these classes actually do that is perhaps another matter.)

For example, my incident was a 2nd stage coming unscrewed. Obviously, I got redundant air almost immediately after, but then I also got redundant cutting-devices, redundant buoyancy, and more.
So you’re saying this guy with 9 dives is ready to dive solo?
You seemed to have read into his post, something he didn't say.

I take redundant air on every dive, because it eliminates any second guessing, and sometimes an "intended" 30ft dive, ends up seeing something interesting a little deeper. Though I'll leave behind the spare flashlight and mask on most dives.

("Intended" vs "Planned" - Many dive-training-programs say to "plan your dives, and follow your dive-plan." I might dive a mostly 30ft dive site, but "plan" for 60+ ft. If part way through the dive, I have a reason to go deeper, and plenty of air, it's no big deal that I didn't stick to 30ft. Being a little "over prepared" for the actual dive, is better than being a ??ft and then saying "****, going deeper is beyond what I prepared or planned for")

In Curacao chances to get entangled are close to zero, this is not Florida. Locals use mostly nets or spearfish (though the latter may be illegal, I do not know). Anyways, I told the guy he'll be fine if he stays in the shallows, the rest is up to him.
My dive-buddies refuse to carry redundant air on solo dives to 60+ ft, despite me having a spare 19cu or even 6cu they can borrow at zero cost. I suspect in their mind, their thought process is "I've never needed it before now."

The problem with entanglements, is you're not entangled ... until you are. It's the same concept with the regulator coming unscrewed earlier. When or how it happens is somewhat random, even if a low chance. Now, I'm not necessarily suggesting one needs to carry 10-inch shears like I do (because I intentionally cut up anchor ropes), but because there are solutions like the mini line cutters, which take up practically no space or weight, one might as well have one on EVERY dive.

Although if one was worried about a net-entanglement, I'd probably recommend trauma-shears at least. Still light-weight, but would handle cutting a bunch of net-cords a lot faster.

Ok…ANY REAL EXPERIENCE DEALING WITH PROBLEMS. Better?

There's two kinds of divers: those who have experience dealing with problems, and those who don't have problems during dives.

So... The wife and I are going to Curacao in August. She snorkels, but doesn't dive. She posed an interesting scenario that I am not sure about and seeking opinions or advice.

There are some beaches in Curacao where I can rent equipment and shore dive. It will only be the two of us going. Her thought was. I can maybe get in a dive or two while she snorkels above. My concern is, if I do run into trouble, I am still the only one under water, but, at the same time, I really want to dive as much as I can. I have limited dive experience(9. All from boats), but am confident in my ability and don't panic easily, having already faced a regulator malfunction and remained calm throughout. My gut tells me it's a bad idea, but I don't want to overreact, either.

So the question is, is it a bad idea to go under alone with someone snorkeling above basically pacing me?
I don't have enough experience for solo diving, and I'll catch crap for this, if I were much more experienced, I'm not against it. BUT..... I'm also that guy who rides my motorcycle on the interstate 75mph+ with no helmet.

So there's a question about solo diving in the "Basic Scuba" forum.

The answer to the question can't be posted in this forum, in reality post #1 should've been moved to a forum where a real answer won't cause issues about forum rules.

But this is how we roll, the OP will be told over and over for 100 pages about the number of certifications, number of dives, and number of metric tons of gear required before he's "allowed" to think about solo diving.

So... The wife and I are going to Curacao in August. She snorkels, but doesn't dive.

The first rule of solo diving club:

iu

I find dive count to be a poor indicator of experience. Are you a vacation diver who seahorses through the water following a dive guide? You could have 1000s of dives, but I wouldn't trust you enough to let you borrow my gear.

On the other extreme end of the spectrum was one of my top students who earned a GUE T1 certification after 230 dives and 2 years of diving. Some on here have claimed that no one has any business considering becoming an instructor until at least 500 dives. Well, my former OW/AOW student could probably dive circles around those same people.

I don't get the problem with newer divers receiving this training as part of it is increasing situational awareness which may or may not come with experience (seriously, we have all met "experienced" divers who couldn't find their arses with both hands and some of them are CDs/ITs who have been diving for decades).

And let's be honest. Are all divers, not just newly certified ones, capable in helping out another diver? If one buddy gets entangled, is the other actually going to be able to help them deal with it? They are supposed to. A proper solo (SDI) / self-reliant (PADI) / independent (SSI) / other agency with their version taught course is going to provide tools to divers to be more capable to handling emergencies. This is why some NAUI and SDI instructors include a fair bit of rescue training in their open water courses even though others say that divers first need to get "experience."

I find dive count to be a poor indicator of experience. Are you a vacation diver who seahorses through the water following a dive guide? You could have 1000s of dives, but I wouldn't trust you enough to let you borrow my gear.
Some people have 1000 dives...some people have the same dive 1000 times.

Some people have 1000 dives...some people have the same dive 1000 times.
Yes. But it depends on what you're doing to do. Are you going to be diving solo at those same spots you've dived 1,000 times? I am rapidly approaching the Big 1K and have dived in quite a few varied locations-- boat, shore, calm, surf, currents, salt, fresh, etc. But the last 5 years has pretty much been the same 15 shallow shore sites at home and 4-5 in Connecticut. I think I'm OK going solo there.

So there's a question about solo diving in the "Basic Scuba" forum.

The answer to the question can't be posted in this forum, in reality post #1 should've been moved to a forum where a real answer won't cause issues about forum rules.

But this is how we roll, the OP will be told over and over for 100 pages about the number of certifications, number of dives, and number of metric tons of gear required before he's "allowed" to think about solo diving.

And that's why I liked the op in Solo forum of yesteryear. At least solo could be discussed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom