Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro:
To me "supervising" an insta buddy is more dangerous than solo diving. The reasons being, that you are now task loaded with watching out for someone else, and that persons decisions can endanger you, and the other diver lacks the ability to aid you if something does happen.-

I guess. I do supervise people on a regular basis. I also help train them and I'm quite comfortable taking on that responsibility. I don't see it as dangerous but I can appreciate that we have a different perspective on that.

R..

jmps:
I am a new diver and am interested in underwater photography. But even more so, I also tend to love just going slowly over a reef and peering at all the detail of the sea life. What do I need to learn to be able to dive solo for shallow reef dives? I would like to learn to dive deep for unique experiences such as wrecks but that isn't my main interest.

I saw some great photos from someone who was in ten feet of water off Bonaire. He was alone I assume since he said he spent hours out there just looking at all the life. This sounds like my style very much. I used to snorkel for hours doing this type of watching. I'd love to get that experience when diving.

I did a search but didn't see much on this topic. The Solo Diving forum is empty. Do I need a Pony to do this? How do you travel with a Pony if I need one? If I stay above X feet is it OK without a Pony?

According to your profile you have not completed basic OW yet and you are a member of the Solo Divers Forum? YIKES!!

Regards,

Cudabait:
According to your profile you have not completed basic OW yet and you are a member of the Solo Divers Forum? YIKES!!

Regards,

You should probably have checked when that profile was created. He was in the process of getting his open water in december last year. I'd say its a safe bet that he is now qualified.

That said, I find some of the questions being asked to show a scary lack of understanding. At least he is asking questions though.

Diver0001:
I guess. I do supervise people on a regular basis. I also help train them and I'm quite comfortable taking on that responsibility. I don't see it as dangerous but I can appreciate that we have a different perspective on that.

R..

Notice, I didn't say dangerous, I said more dangerous, as in the risk is increased. There is a difference in meaning.

Xanthro:
Notice, I didn't say dangerous, I said more dangerous, as in the risk is increased. There is a difference in meaning.
Or LESS dangerous. Not for you, but for the "incompetent buddy" :wink:

I enjoy occasional dives with new divers. Their enthusiasm and wonder is infectious. In the overal global social scheme of the world, it's payback for those experienced divers that took me diving when I was a dangerous, incompetent newbie.

String:
....That said the solo dives have been the more relaxed dives ive ever done and the lowest SAC. I put this down to going at my own pace and not having a buddy to worry about. When i want to change direction i just can without signalling or i dont have to constantly watch someone else if theyre leading not to lose them.
Its not so much i dont trust the buddys but any buddy of any ability does require some "maintenance" just to keep track of etc.
I had to look again at the who wrote that post to be sure it wasn't my post.

There's a certain freedom and lack of responsibility on a dive without a buddy. On some of my solo dives I get into an strange meditative, tune-out-almost-everything mood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom