Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a new diver and am interested in underwater photography. But even more so, I also tend to love just going slowly over a reef and peering at all the detail of the sea life. What do I need to learn to be able to dive solo for shallow reef dives? I would like to learn to dive deep for unique experiences such as wrecks but that isn't my main interest.

I saw some great photos from someone who was in ten feet of water off Bonaire. He was alone I assume since he said he spent hours out there just looking at all the life. This sounds like my style very much. I used to snorkel for hours doing this type of watching. I'd love to get that experience when diving.

I did a search but didn't see much on this topic. The Solo Diving forum is empty. Do I need a Pony to do this? How do you travel with a Pony if I need one? If I stay above X feet is it OK without a Pony?

Just find a buddy who likes the same thing as you and dive together. There are a lot of us out there that like to potter about in a small area. Another photographer would be good.

I shallow solo dive very occasionally. It is not just an issue of getting the right equipment but having the experience and training. It is really not the way to go for a 'new' diver.

Bonaire is not a great solo dive spot. you can stay at 20' but you will mainly see fire coral and be immediately drawn down the slope. Also most of the dives are well away from civilization. I'm not crazy about doing them with less than four people in case something happens. I would definitely not want to solo - there is NO-ONE about much of the time.

As an aside. I would not start underwater photography until you have a good bit of diving under your belt. It is very distracting and, if your bouyancy control is not both perfect and instinctive, you will rapidly become a threat to both yourself and the reef. The additional workload will probably reduce your diving enjoyment anyway. Get lots of practice - do some advanced training and then when you have bouyancy down pat - get a camera.

Just my two cents worth - I'm sure you will get differing perspectives.

Enjoy your diving.

Thanks. I didn't see how it would work either at least for a while. That is why I was asking. I don't even have a housing for my camera yet so I am going slowly into this. Luckily I have a Canon A85 and find that it is very popular for UW photography. Actually my main interest is putting memories inside my head and have the photos just to remind me of the real thing. :10:

The Solo Diver froum is empty because you have to 'opt in' to view the posts.
Click on the User CP link towards the top of the page and then on the left hand side of the screen, click on the Group Membership link, you can add yourself to the Solo Diver group. Then you will be able to red the posts in the Solo Diver forum.

jmps:
The Solo Diving forum is empty.
The solo forum isn't empty... they're just trying to save you from yourself...
FAQ:
Because of the serious and potentially hazardous nature of Solo Diving, this forum has a custom set of permissions that allows only those members in the "Solo Divers" group to read and post messages within this area. Please review the following important information and if you feel you meet the criteria, follow these instructions to gain access to this forum:

1. Go to your group preferences.
2. Select "join this group" for the Solo Diver user group

This process is completely automated, as soon as you request to be added to the group our system will update your account and grant you full access. Please keep in mind that our warning was written with good reason, this forum exists for the discussion of a dangerous part of Scuba Diving, you should only engage in this activity if you are qualified to do so.

One thing to keep in mind is, "If you have to ask if your ready to dive solo your not".

When your able to handle anything thrown at you, on your own, you might be ready. It's more of a frame of mind than anything else.

Gary D.

jmps,
to answer your original question concerning how to learn to solo dive, imho you should take a certification class offered by a recognized agency.

i had the opportunity to do this last month with sdi.
i still feel that i need to dive several hundred more dives before i would feel comfortable giving anyone advise on the subject.
regards,

My 7th dive ever was a solo dive, was safer than diving with the people I was buddied with.

Most people will tell you not to dive solo, and it is always safer to dive with someone who can trust, but honestly, many a diver can't really be trusted. I've had buddies endanger me far more often than ever be helpful.

Keep it shallow, and always remember where you are. Like you, I like to watch the reefs and sealife. You can get caught up in this and lose track of your bearings, and this is dangerous.

I keep my solo dives above 40 feet, a depth I've practiced CESA from. Also, stay clear of any kind of possible entanglement.

People snorkel solo all the time, there isn't that much more danger to Scuba solo at the same depths you'd snorkel.

It would be nice if more people understood that sealife will come to you if you remain still. Remaining neutral at a good spot I see more than I'd ever encounter racing around like so many people do.

Xanthro:
My 7th dive ever was a solo dive, was safer than diving with the people I was buddied with.

Most people will tell you not to dive solo, and it is always safer to dive with someone who can trust, but honestly, many a diver can't really be trusted. I've had buddies endanger me far more often than ever be helpful.

Keep it shallow, and always remember where you are. Like you, I like to watch the reefs and sealife. You can get caught up in this and lose track of your bearings, and this is dangerous.

I keep my solo dives above 40 feet, a depth I've practiced CESA from. Also, stay clear of any kind of possible entanglement.

People snorkel solo all the time, there isn't that much more danger to Scuba solo at the same depths you'd snorkel.

It would be nice if more people understood that sealife will come to you if you remain still. Remaining neutral at a good spot I see more than I'd ever encounter racing around like so many people do.

This is horrible advice to a new diver. Solo diving itself is not a bad thing. It just adds significantly to the risks you run when diving irregardless of the depth.

The best preparation for solo diving is expierence. Addtional training doesn't hurt but training can't replace expierence. You can eqiup yourself with redundant everything but you still have only 1 brain to think with. At least with the expierence, you have a better understanding of the risks you are taking.

As for dealing with buddies. Its really quite simple. Be selective on who you dive with and the type of diving you do with them. There are a few dives I'll do with practically any certified diver but there are a lot more I will do with only a handful of divers.
You are responible for the choice of who to dive with. Choose wisely and realize, if you go solo, you are your own dive buddy.

Your opinions may vary

in_cavediver:
This is horrible advice to a new diver. Solo diving itself is not a bad thing. It just adds significantly to the risks you run when diving irregardless of the depth.

The best preparation for solo diving is expierence. Addtional training doesn't hurt but training can't replace expierence. You can eqiup yourself with redundant everything but you still have only 1 brain to think with. At least with the expierence, you have a better understanding of the risks you are taking.

As for dealing with buddies. Its really quite simple. Be selective on who you dive with and the type of diving you do with them. There are a few dives I'll do with practically any certified diver but there are a lot more I will do with only a handful of divers.
You are responible for the choice of who to dive with. Choose wisely and realize, if you go solo, you are your own dive buddy.

Your opinions may vary
Well put.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom