Solo diver seeks info on Cooper River March 28 or 29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello what is the average depth to dive to when looking for fossils in cooper

Without checking my logbook, 30-40ft almost all are 1 hour dives on an Aluminum 80.
All solo diving, zero viz and can be strong current (depends a lot on timing dive on a particuliar site for correct tide. Everything depends on Boat Captain putting you on right spot, at right time of day in relation to tides (again Bill Routh is a genius at this!)

If there is a group of divers form the board that wants to hit the river in March 2008 then lets run a trip. I recommend Cooper River Diver Charters as the best charter on the river. If we can pick a couple of weekends that work I can coordinate a trip. The trip would be 85$ per day for two tank dive (10$ more for a third tank). You can dive any size tanks you like and there is no time limit for the dives.

Let me know who is interested and what dates work for you.

Hey folks, sorry to post and run. Work got hairy for me for a few weeks there, but I'm definitely still interested in doing a trip.

Got an email back from Captain John at Cooper River Scuba Diving - Dive Charleston South Carolina's Cooper River, sounds like there may be a bit of room with him that weekend. I'll try to nail something down with him this week or start calling Plan B operators. Will post whatever I find out. I've tried Charleston Scuba a couple times but can't get a return email and their VM is always full.

Quick question: In doing a Google I found mention of, um, alligators in the Cooper. How much of a hazard would folks reckon this might be? I have next to no knowledge of the area, so please forgive my ignorance on the front end :wink:

Looks like the water temps may be in the low 60s...I'm thinking a dry suit may be a good idea if these are going to be shallow (read: long) dives....

anywhere from 15 to 60 ffw is where we normally stay you are subject to find nice teeth in any depth as well as ancient early man artifacts. We just went out with Capt john at cooper River dive charters this past weekend you can find our mugshots and finds at wish you were here diving.net

I have never had a problem with oversized reptiles on the cooper river I have worked in the everglades doing commercial work and been completly surrounded by them and never been aggressed. they get a bad rap like sharks > knowledge of their behavior through research will help ease your fears> I would certainly recommend a drysuit this time of year .Ignorance of the gators is probably your biggest threat. Take a little time and do a little research on them. Basic things like not splashing about on the surface will go a long way towards a happy relationship with them . Most gator attacks on humans are the humans fault.Talk to capt john at cooper river dive charters about them. He has extensive experience on the cooper and runs a top notch charter.Your biggest problem on the Cooper is not having a large enough goody bag to hold your booty.

The pictures are at www.wishyouwereherediving.com/images.html.

'Gators are not active this time of the year. You might see one sunning itself but they are cold blooded and do not want to go in the water. I have been diving in ther Cooper for years and have never seen or heard of one being agressive toward a diver.

Your biggest problem on the Cooper is not having a large enough goody bag to hold your booty.

E*X*C*E*L*L*E*N*T*!

Ok, so how many are still interested? One? Two? I'm seriously going to try to nail something down in the next day or two. I'd love to go with Capn John.

Thanks for the thoughts on the gators. I'm not a-skeered of water critters generally, but while visiting Australia last year I saw a saltwater croc in a tank that - sweet Lord - looked like a sea monster. 6 meters long if it were a centimeter. Teeth like daggers. Whoa. So it got my attention about respecting them.

What kind of pick do I need? I assume the reef hook I bought for Galapagos might not cut it (although I'll bring it along just in case). Will a big-assed screwdriver do the job?

I use a screw driver that Ive attached a clip and wrist lanyard to and it works ok. Capt john sells custom spikes that are really nice and Ive always wanted one but never have had an extra $ to spend on it. They go for 30 to 40 bucks. The bottom line is if it works for you then its ok. Bring whatever you have and check out Johnnys spikes.No saltwater crocs in the Cooper mate. And thank god for that!

What kind of pick do I need? I assume the reef hook I bought for Galapagos might not cut it (although I'll bring it along just in case). Will a big-assed screwdriver do the job?

I reccommend that you use a brass spike (Capt. John sells for $30 I think) but a BA screwdriver will work as well. Make sure that you have a lanyard attached to the BA screwdriver so you dont loose it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom