Solo diver pulled from Lake St. Lawrence - Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am honestly not sure anyone is prepared to handle it. Some more than others perhaps. Working Police, Doctors, Nurses and Paramedics will have calls that stay with them.

With no intention of hijacking this thread, don't forget to include fire fighters with those that have calls stay with them. With almost 24 years of service, I can still picture some of the events that I have attended - fatal car accidents, fatal fire, cardiac arrests, suicides, drownings, etc. I can still see some of the faces related to some of these events. It never gets easy, but you develop mechanisms to cope. One of the best is a CISD or critical incident stress debriefing held shortly after the incident has happened. One on one counselling with a professional will help as well.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

This is an important part of the PADI first aid (EFR) course. In serious first aid cases, including especially cardiac events, many times there was never any really hope of success, and the people who do their very best to achieve an impossible good result have to be able to accept that fact, as hard as it is to do so.
The real recovery rate, as in leaving the hospital under their own power, of people who need CRP is a lot less than they show in fiction. But without CPR the survival rate is zero.

The real recovery rate, as in leaving the hospital under their own power, of people who need CRP is a lot less than they show in fiction. But without CPR the survival rate is zero.

That is correct. As I said, a lot of seriously ill people who receive the bet possible first aid do not survive. Some do, but many don't.

I am not sure of your point in this. I did not say it was wrong to provide first aid; I said that when your best efforts do not produce a positive result, you need to understand that it is almost certainly not your fault.

That is correct. As I said, a lot of seriously ill people who receive the bet possible first aid do not survive. Some do, but many don't.

I am not sure of your point in this. I did not say it was wrong to provide first aid; I said that when your best efforts do not produce a positive result, you need to understand that it is almost certainly not your fault.

Last time I did my EFR refresher, the instructor said that the amount of people that re-starts with CPR only is roughly 3 %.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2015 at 09:25 PM ----------

With no intention of hijacking this thread, don't forget to include fire fighters with those that have calls stay with them. With almost 24 years of service, I can still picture some of the events that I have attended - fatal car accidents, fatal fire, cardiac arrests, suicides, drownings, etc. I can still see some of the faces related to some of these events. It never gets easy, but you develop mechanisms to cope. One of the best is a CISD or critical incident stress debriefing held shortly after the incident has happened. One on one counselling with a professional will help as well.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

CISD

Divegoose my humble apologies I don't know how I managed to miss firefighters in my list. ANY emergence service provider from the first aider on the scene all the way up to the highest qualified person and the people who work on the body after death are subject to PTSD.

I was on the Ambulance call out team for Peer Debriefing/Defusing. The Psychiatrist in charge of training our team gave the best description I have ever heard of the phenomenon (for lack of a better word).

Dr Toby Snelgrove told us..
"All emergency services providers build up a "slide show" in their heads. They see things that they will never be able to forget and it changes them. Things will happen that trigger your slide show. That is normal. It is when you can't CONTROL the slide show and turn it off that you are in trouble!"

That resonated with me at the time. I had calls where I arrived at a scene and I could literally feel my internal camera "Capturing the shot" for my slide show! At the time of his statement I admit I thought he was wrong about "it changes you." I thought to myself.. "No it won't change ME!" I won't go into it but it turns out he was right about that too.

Here is something else I always told my students and the new Paramendics I trained back my Ambulance days. "Everyone is going to die sooner or later. There will come a point where the best care in the world will not be able to change that. Dying alone, afraid, in pain with nobody around that cares is tragic. We don't know when the last moment of awareness happens. If the last thing they hear is your voice, it is kind and reassuring and they know they are not alone that may make their passing just a little easier for them.. it is an incredible privilege to do something that significant for another human being."

On a personal note that was the hardest thing for me when our dive buddy separated from us and we failed to save her. That I wasn't THERE for HER! That is where my personal second guessing happened. It took a professional counselor telling me over and over ..
"You didn't choose to let her die alone... SHE chose to swim away from you... repeatedly and that is why she died alone!"
But this is not about my story... this is about yours.

People make choices, some choose to dive solo and it is their right to do so. Please tho if you choose to dive with buddies.. for their sake BE A BUDDY they can't be your buddy without your co-operation! Their choices mean they have to accept the consequences good or bad. I am not convinced from the sounds of things that John would have survived had he had his "Event" in the emergency department of the hospital.

Just to be clear here. Moderators are also regular members of Scubaboard. We engage in threads to post our personal opinions and experiences like everyone else. As such our posts carry no more weight than any other member to be judged on their merit. boulderjohn and I are participating here as regular members or we would have indicated by posting the Moderator Message in our posts.

When we post as members we may also be moderated as any other member.... :doh: coming to the point.. It is my PERSONAL opinion that this discussion is NOT a hijack and is appropriate because it is addressing the event. A&I is about discussing events to help divers stay safe and prevent future incidents. Discussing how the event impacted the diver who tried his best to save another falls within that goal IMHO. As I have said before, if we are supportive, humane and respectful to those who have been involved in these events we will all learn more about them for everyone's sake!

Yes I agree with both of you and in my mind I'm still playing the what is scenarios through my head those will never stop but I am at peace with what I did and how I responded
The paramedics firefighters and law enforcement officers that were on scene said I responded to that emergency perfectly they couldn't find one flaw in any of my actions so I am at peace I just play the what if scenarios cuz it's a fact of life

I am not surprised by the What ifs. It may not seem so but you are still VERY early in the process. The What ifs eventually become less frequent. I hope they eventually stop.

The What ifs that I would be concerned about go like this.... "What if I had ....." because it is a very subtle. self doubt that Maybe If I had...... it would have been different then the next step becomes... I should have........

The What ifs that I would not worry about go like this "What if HE had........" because that puts the responsibility where it belongs.

He made choices he had a right to make as an adult. You had no power over that. You had power only over your choices and you chose to do the best you could in a bad situation. That is all you could ask of anyone and you do not have the right to ask more or less of yourself than you would ask of another IMHO.

Sorry I don't mean to lecture I am just concerned..I'll shut up now:flowers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom